This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Parkland Students return back to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School for the first time since the mass shooting from a teen gunman who attacked the school and killed 17 people.

It was not an ordinary school day. Parents and guardians walked their children to the gates of the school with hesitation to say good bye. The students, staff and parents wore T-shirts saying “MSD Strong,” and a banner that hung at the entrance with “Welcome Back Eagles,” written on it. There was an outpouring support from the community.

Counselors in the school are available for students to grieve and feel comfortable again in the environment of their own school. Many of the students returning are still recovering from gunshot wounds and even the uninjured are struggling with trauma.  

One aspect of the school that is missing is backpacks. The focus of the school is for students to feel comfort and not yet focus on curriculum. Since the shooter was carrying a backpack during the attack, backpacks will not be a necessity for students anymore.

The security has become stricter in the school, as well as a discussion to pass a bill for Florida’s Capital to raise the age for purchasing firearms to 21 years old.

As much as this shooting, and the others in America, may feel like the our society has come to fearing an education, it is important to take action now to create laws and better security so this does not happen again.

Ashley Painter

Illinois State '20

Hi I am Ashley! I love being apart of Her Campus and am so grateful for all the opportunities this organization has given me. I am the current Editor in Chief at Illinois Sate University and previous Social Media Director. I am majoring in Public Relations and will be graduating this May 2020. I am persuing a career in PR, marketing, and media. Follow me on Social media! Instagram @ashleypainterr Facebook @Ashley Lauren
Contributor account for Illinois State