ISU Fashion Show Designer Spotlight: Torre Riscossa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Starting something new with past experience isn’t always easy, but Torre Riscossa makes it look that way! This Senior FDM student started from ground zero, and turned apparel creation into something she wants to do for the rest of her life. When she isn’t in the design studio or putting together business plans, Torre loves to attend concerts, especially music festivals. Read on to find out more about this sweet little rock star and her upcoming collection for the 2017 ISU Fashion Show.

Her Campus: Have you always been a fashion major?

Torre: No, I was a nursing major at a community college. I switched my major to Fashion because I was working at Victoria’s Secret in sales at the time, and I realized I really loved creating visuals. I realized I wanted to be a merchandiser, so I transferred to ISU. After taking a few classes, I found that design is another aspect of fashion that I love, so I decided to major in design and merchandising.

Her Campus: What inspires you to do the work you do?

Torre: A lot of the projects that I’ve done have been based around Florida. I did a beach-themed store in the Fashion Promotion class here. I love Florida and all of the beachy beauty! My line for the show is inspired by a music festival I went to over the summer. Seeing the different subcultures and the styles there was interesting.

Her Campus: Tell us something interesting about yourself that sets you apart from other designers.

Torre: The first time I did the fashion show, which was last year, my only garment creating experience was a basic sewing class (FCS 122). Now that I’ve done that I feel so much more prepared for this year. For me, taking only intro to sewing and still managing to create an entire collection was so challenging, but that much more rewarding in the end. I also inspired a lot of other people with basic garment construction skills to do the show, and I love getting other people involved.

Her Campus: Other than designing for the fashion show, what other projects are you working on right now?

Torre: I am currently working on a website as part of my portfolio. I want the website to represent my brand and aesthetic. Any project I finish I upload to my website as a different way to show employers and others the work that I’ve done. I am also working on a project in advanced merchandising with a fellow student. We are working to create a business plan for a store that she hopes to open.

Her Campus: What’s your favorite part about the FDM program?

Torre: I love how diverse it is, yet everyone has something in common. We all come here to work hard, and at the end of the day the end goal is similar. I think there is beauty in that. This sets our program apart from others because we are a smaller group and it allows us to stick together and really drive each other. It’s honestly like a second home here.

Her Campus: What are your plans after college?

Torre: I have been looking for a job. I have been applying for a few different visual merchandising positions around my hometown. I want to build funds to eventually be able to open my own store. I don’t know that I want an actual brick and mortar store, but I definitely want to have my own line of clothing.

Her Campus: As far as your collection for the 2017 fashion show, can you give us an idea of what we can expect?

Torre: Punk rock is my biggest inspiration. I am using a lot of dark colors, and pops of olive green. Bandana detail is the print that I’m using for my garments.

Her Campus: That is so cool Torre! We can’t wait to see your collection on the runway!

Tickets for the 2017 Illinois State Fashion Show are on sale at the Braden Box Office, or online at Ticketmaster.com. The show is April 13th with light refreshments at 5 p.m. and a show start time of 7 p.m.

Josie Lakin

Illinois State

Hi, I'm Josie. I love Halo Top ice cream and listening to Drake too loud. My goal is to be your go-to for fashion and health! This is my first semester writing for Her Campus ISU, and I can't wait to see how I develop as a writer. Catch me in NYC this summer livin' the dream.
Contributor account for Illinois State