ISU Fashion Show Designer Spotlight: Elle Goth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It’s no surprise that Elle Goth has been as successful as she has so far in her experience with fashion. This FDM student is always taking in inspiration from artists and things happening around her. Elle’s mind is abstract. During her time in the FDM program here, Elle has grown to appreciate the assistance and education that her professors provide. All of these things have been factors in influencing Elle to start embroidering pieces to make her own clutches. Read on to find out more about this bright designer. Don’t miss her beautiful collection at this year’s 2017 ISU Fashion Show!

Her Campus: Have you always been a fashion major?

Elle: I actually haven’t. I started college as a creative writing major with a Spanish minor. I then transferred out of my first college to ISU as a Spanish Education major. When I realized that I wasn’t very passionate about Spanish anymore – it was more like something I just knew I could get a job with – I decided to pursue my truly favorite thing in the world. I switched my major to fashion and haven’t looked back since.

An Elle Goth design

Her Campus: What inspires you to do the work you do?

Elle: It really depends. Sometimes it is just a fleeting thought like “What would it be like to paint on fabric?” to then really analyzing works of art and deriving entire collections from a single artist’s style. So much of my inspiration comes from other artists. I love seeing the way people portray the world and portray their soul and taking from that to develop my own take on them.

Her Campus: Tell us something interesting about yourself that sets you apart from other designers:

Elle: I love using mixed medias. In last year’s fashion show, every dress I made, I used an element of light to show difference in movements. In this year’s show, I am using some beautifully hand-crafted glass diamonds that are meant for windchimes to give my collection almost a signature noise. I don’t really make things that people would wear in everyday life. I want people to look at my designs and think they are closer compared to works of art.

An Elle Goth Design, 2016 ISU Fashion Show

Her Campus: Other than designing for the fashion show, what other projects are you working on right now?

Elle: I’m actually working on creating a brand for myself to sell hand-made clutches. I’ve started embroidering and beading small amounts of fabric that I then sew into an elegant purse and I’m hoping I can turn this into my future name. I’m also working on perfecting my menswear. I love the idea of made-to-measure suits, so I really want to construct a flawless piece.

Her Campus: What’s your favorite part about the FDM program?

Elle: My favorite part about the FDM program would be the independence afforded to us. I know that the professors will always be there if I need their help, but they seriously encourage independence. It has allowed me to head into the workforce confident in my ability and my knowledge of the industry.

Embroidery by Elle Goth

Her Campus: What are your plans after college?

Elle: They are up in the air as of yet. I have a couple of job interviews in Milwaukee at different made-to-measure menswear companies. I am also loving my work at A1 of a Kind where I am interning. I’ve applied to Graduate school as well. My thoughts at the moment are to see what is offered to me and then decide because I could seriously be happy almost anywhere.

Her Campus: As far as your collection for the 2017 fashion show, can you give us an idea of what we can expect?

Elle: Lots of flowing colors. Every piece of fabric is hand painted by myself so there will not be a single piece that is similar to another. I also have taken so much of my inspiration from past trends and different decades that it really will almost be like a tour through the twentieth century.

Her Campus: Elle, you are such a talented, open minded person! We look forward to seeing your collection at the fashion show, and to seeing your work in the future!

Tickets for the 2017 Illinois State Fashion Show are on sale at the Braden Box Office, or online at Ticketmaster.com. The show is April 13th with light refreshments at 5 p.m. and a show start time of 7 p.m.

Josie Lakin

Illinois State

Hi, I'm Josie. I love Halo Top ice cream and listening to Drake too loud. My goal is to be your go-to for fashion and health! This is my first semester writing for Her Campus ISU, and I can't wait to see how I develop as a writer. Catch me in NYC this summer livin' the dream.
Contributor account for Illinois State