ISU Fashion Show Designer Spotlight: Audie Lauf

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Let’s face it, we all low-key love Cruelle DeVille. Your inner Cruella can’t deny that. Senior FDM major Audie Lauf is going to wow you with his glitzy glam collection that brings our your inner Cruella. Read on to find out more!

Her Campus: Have you always been a fashion major?

Audie: When I entered Illinois State I was an undeclared student. I really wanted to immerse myself in different courses in hopes of truly finding my calling. I thought when I entered college that there would be this switch that clicked and I knew exactly what I wanted to do. That was not the case, as corny as it sounds, I did some soul searching and found myself in the public relations program after my first year at ISU. My first senior year I applied to the apparel merchandising program and decided to have a double major. It’s funny, I came into ISU with no major and I will leave with two majors and a minor in economics. Funny how life turns out right?

Her Campus: What inspires you to do the work you do?

Audie: My designs are inspired by Hollywood’s favorite female antagonists. I am a huge fan of Cruella DeVil, and the character Chanel Oberlin from Fox’s Scream Queens. Oh! And Selena Gomez because obvi.  I love how they know what they want and will do whatever it takes to get it, while looking fabulous. I think the “Mean Girl” is a beautiful character in the sense that she is portrayed as strong and determined. I think more shows should portray women like that. My overall dedication to hard work comes from my family especially the women in my family. My mom never left anything stop her from succeeding, and like her I never take anything for granted. The other women in my family like my aunt Rose, and my grandma Ruth, helped raise me and my brother, allowing my mom and dad to work full-time to help support our dreams and instill a work ethic into me and my brother. My family is extremely strong and they want nothing more than to watch us succeed. I took that for granted growing up, but now I can’t appreciate it enough. One piece in my collection is from my late grandpa’s jeans, and I thought of him the entire time I was putting the piece together. I found a peppermint candy in one of the pockets and decided to hide it in the dress as a homage to him. He was always so proud of anything that my brother and I did. I know he is still proud.

HC: Other than designing for the fashion show, what other projects are you working on right now?

AL: Currently I will be helping Dr. Yu further her research on the “Media’s Portrayal of Ethnicity and Body Diversity of Thinness in Fashion Magazines,” as a first editor. I am working on a few projects for my public relations program, while building my website and continuing to run ISU’s Public Relations Student Society of America chapter as the current president.

HC: What’s your favorite part about the FDM program?

AL:It is home. I never feel like I don’t belong or out of place. I found my people, it wasn’t hard we all share the same common interests and it just clicked. The instructors are amazing and helpful and full of knowledge. I am not a design major and Dr. Gam was always available to help me in anyway. As a fashion major, the general thought is that we are shallow, materialistic students with the need to have the most likes on out Instagram feed. I have not met one of those students in the program. The students here are some of the most creative yet strategic thinkers on campus. It is a beautiful process to see their projects come to fruition. Our program really pushes us to find alternatives to economic issues, labor rights for garment workers, sustainability initiatives, and trying to better the fashion industry anyway that we can.

HC: What are your plans after college?

AL:As of now, I will be heading to Martha’s Vineyard for the summer to intern for DressedMV and fashion magazine that focuses on the latest styles at Martha’s Vineyard. I am excited and nervous all at the same time, but definitely ready for this next step.

HC: As far as your collection for the 2017 fashion show, can you give us an idea of what we can expect?

AL: My collection incorporates a ton of ostrich feathers, faux leathers, glitz and glam, and fur. You are not going to want to miss this.

Tickets for the 2017 Illinois State Fashion Show are on sale at the Braden Box Office, or online at Ticketmaster.com. The show is April 13th with light refreshments at 5 p.m. and a show start time of 7 p.m.

Josie Lakin

Illinois State

Hi, I'm Josie. I love Halo Top ice cream and listening to Drake too loud. My goal is to be your go-to for fashion and health! This is my first semester writing for Her Campus ISU, and I can't wait to see how I develop as a writer. Catch me in NYC this summer livin' the dream.
Contributor account for Illinois State