This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Leaving your Instagram caption-less is like walking out of the front door without any clothes on; something is missing. With that being said, good captions cannot be forced, so it’s best to look towards some celebrity inspiration.

Television reality star and supermodel Kendall Jenner has 39 million followers on Instagram and currently holds the title of the most liked picture. With a track record like that, Jenner is the perfect Instagram user to follow for caption muse. Here is a definitive list on how this celeb creates the best captions:

1. When the picture is self-explanatory, she leaves it to 5 words or less. Whether it’s a few words or emojis, a short caption to a great picture creates balance. See for yourself, the caption to the most liked picture on Instagram consists of one heart emoji. 

2. Kendall pokes fun at herself. Not many people will like an Instagram picture of someone bragging about themselves, let alone will anyone want to follow them. Jenner’s humble caption to her photo at the U.S. Open hints that she may not be too knowledgeable about tennis. 

3. She uses trendy language. You do not want to fall behind with the modern slang in your captions. It can connect you with your followers and no one wants to read a caption consisting of outdated language. Also, Instagram on high trending days like Throwback Thursday or if you are of age, Wine Wednesday.  

4. Kendall tags or hashtags designers and companies in her captions. Even though she works for the fashion industry, anyone can apply this to their own Instagram pics. Let’s say you took a picture wearing Urban Outfitters apparel. By tagging or hash tagging them in the caption, other Instagram users will be able to see your picture on the explore page or by searching for Urban Outfitters tagged photos, increasing your chances of getting likes outside of your immediate followers. 

5. She uses puns that pertain to her photos.  The nice part about wordplay is that it is a subtle way of sneaking humor into your caption. Fortunately, no matter what the picture looks like, there is a good chance you can create a pun out of it. Kendall debuted her blonde look by comparing herself to a Barbie Doll with the caption, “Ken-doll.”

We may not have millions of followers like KJ, but we can get one step closer by following her knowledge on captioning Instagram posts. 

Contributor account for Illinois State