This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Whenever I hear the words “Spring Break,” I cringe. Mostly because I know whatever trip my friends have planned is going to absolutely kill my bank account. Actually scratch that, my bank account is already a goner, but we’re college students, what else do you expect? The point is, you don’t need to go out and spend a thousand dollars to have the “Spring Break of a lifetime.”It’s just not realistic to do every single year of college, and I think most of us have figured that out. Save the last hoorah for your senior year! Until then, plan a fun, CHEAP weekend getaway with your favorite pals during Spring Break, and save some big bucks. Here’s a few of HC’s ideas.  

1. For The Country Lovers  

If you’re planning on road tripping from ISU, Nashville is only about a 6-hour car ride from here. This is a GREAT spot for college students, and if you’re a country lover, this is a major plus! The best part about Nashville is that you definitely only need to spend a few days there to get the whole experience. This artsy and country lovin’ place offers great live entertainment and an exciting night life which includes awesome bars and delicious food. Hey, maybe you’ll run into your favorite country singer.  

2. For Those Who Need a Beach 

Lake Geneva is a beautiful resort city in southeastern Wisconsin. If you’re looking for a place on the beach, Lake Geneva is as cheap and as close to home as you’re going to get. Lake Geneva offers boat rentals, and a variety of different local shops in their downtown area, which is the heart of the town. Most hotels leave residents with a beautiful view of the lake and the colorful city. Spend your nights walking down the beautiful lakeshore path.   

3. For Those Who Love Food 

If you’re going to head to Wisconsin, you might as well visit Milwaukee too. This city is a college town, so you know there’s going to be lots to do and hey, it’s something new! If you’re a foodie, this could be the perfect place for you, especially if you love beer, cheese and meat (I mean c’mon name a better combination of food and drinks). Ever had a mac n cheese pizza? This could be your time to try it out.  

4. For The City Lovers  

Obviously Chicago is always going to be a great place to visit, and it’s close, which is a major financial plus. You might as well spend a weekend in the best city ever, and explore some of the places you’d never usually get to see! If you’re unsure of what to do, a must-seeis definitely Navy Pier, especially once the weather gets nice. This is a great destination that offers fun carnival rides, great food, shops, and even fireworks. Now, that’s not something you get to do every day. Book a hotel with enough time in advance, and you’ll pay less than 100 bucks!  

5. For The Home Bodies 

Nothing is better than having a whole week off from school. You might as well use it wisely. If you’re really on a tight budget, save your money and spend time with your loved ones. It’s rare you’re ever going to get a week off from reality ever again. Pop in your favorite movies, make a nice dinner and just catch up! A simple trip home could be the best trip of all.   

Just because we’re broke college students, doesn’t mean we can’t have fun. Sometimes a weekend getaway from reality is all we need!

Ashleigh Lalla

Illinois State '18

.
Contributor account for Illinois State