How to Interview Like a Pro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

1. Attire

For professional interviews, it is always better to be overdressed. Choose neutral dress pants and a blazer along with one statement piece. This will make you more memorable in a sea of candidates without your outfit being distracting or “busy.” Try a unique necklace, a simple pattern or shoes with a pop of color.

2. Prepare Questions

Try to avoid asking general questions like, “What do you like about this company?” Make sure to thoroughly research the company and ask questions specific to the job you are applying for. This shows the recruiter you understand the potential position.

3. Bring the Energy

Be bubbly and optimistic. People want to surround themselves with positive people. If they enjoy their interview time with you, they will want to work with you.

4. Know Your Resume

Read through your resume and have a story pertaining to each one of your experiences. This way you will have answers for just about anything they throw at you.

5. Follow Up

Email your recruiter after the interview thanking them for having you. This practice is common courtesy. It shows professionalism and politeness.

6. Act Natural!

As difficult as it may be, relax during your interview. Be confident knowing you did all you could to prepare and that your recruiter was in your position at one time!

I'm just a sorority girl who drinks way too much coffee and has a passion for clothing I cannot afford.
Contributor account for Illinois State