HerCampus ISU Staff Picks: Best Drug Store Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Megan Lawler: Maybelline’s Great Lash Original Mascara

I’ve been using this mascara since I first started wearing makeup in high school and have sworn by it ever since. I’ve tried other drug store brand mascaras and have been nothing but disappointed. This Maybelline Great Last Original Mascara mascara comes in shades ranging from browns, blacks, and even clear. It helps your lashes look thick and full while making your eyes really pop. I recommend this mascara to all my friends and at a price of around $6.00, I would consider it a steal.

Katie O’Rourke: Maybelline’s Great Lash Lots of Lashes.

Just like Megan, I love Maybelline’s mascara line, as well! Fun fact: One Great Lash mascara is sold every 1.7 seconds. This product is one I cannot live without. Their new and improved wand reaches hard to get lashes and it adds tremendous length! Great Lash is also known to be “America’s Favorite Mascara.”  As college women, we have to survive on a budget so the low price of only $5 is perfect!

Ali Hutzler: CoverGirl & Olay Simply Ageless Eye Concealer

I first bought this little tub of concealer on a whim. I was upset that I had to pay $10 for CoverGirl makeup, but it turned out to be one of the best products I’ve ever purchased. It quickly became my favorite item in my makeup bag and now I can’t go a day without out. I use my finger to put it around my whole eye and it instantly brightens my entire face. Paired with a swipe of mascara, this concealer is the perfect go-to for class or an early morning meeting.

Steph Bacos: Colour Riche Lipcolour by L’Oreal

I’ve always been a fan of lip color. Perhaps not on myself, but I’ve always been a fan. I tend to stick to nudes, glosses, and well… Chapstick. Occasionally you’ll see me in a bright red but those moments come few and far in between. Recently, my best gal pal introduced me to Colour Riche Lipcolour in Divine Wine by L’Oreal and I’ve been hooked ever since! The shade of red is subtle and smooth and honestly looks great worn during the day or at night. The best part is that its made with vitamins that keep your lips hydrated so they don’t get chapped and dry out. (Seriously it feels like Chapstick!)   You’ll wish you discovered this sooner—Enjoy! 

Falynn Lannert: InColor Fabuliner Liquid Eye Liner Pen in Black

This is my all-time favorite eyeliner, it can be bought at any Walgreens and it only costs about 3 dollars! It is liquid and stays on however long you want it to. I know liquid eyeliner can be messy and frustrating but this goes on so easy and lasts a long time. I discovered InColor Fabuliner about a year ago and so far I’ve never had to switch. They also have awesome lip-gloss, lip liner, and mascara in the same brand!

Lindsay Nardini: E.L.F. Mineral Foundation

I recently started using a mineral foundation made by E.L.F. and I love it. Not only is it super cheap, selling for only $5.00 at drugstores, but it is lightweight and does not make your face look cakey! This is also a great product for sensitive skin, like mine, because it is hypoallergenic. This mineral foundation gives a natural, yet flawless look to your skin. I use it every single day, and it lasts for hours! If you want to buy a premium makeup product, but don’t want to break the bank, then I would definitely suggest trying this mineral foundation by E.L.F.

Julie Florence: Covergirl Perfect Point Plus Eyeliner

CoverGirl Perfect Point Plus eyeliner in black onyx has been my go to eyeliner for as long as I can remember. I’ve tried a few other eyeliners but none really compare. I only use eyeliner on the bottom, and eyeliner is the only makeup I use during the school week. What’s great about this eyeliner is that it stays on for a long time so you don’t need to reapply constantly. It also twists up mechanically so you don’t have to deal with the hassle of sharpening it. Another thing I love is one end of the eyeliner is a little smudge brush. I don’t wear top eyeliner but my roommate does and loves this feature of it! It’s easy to correct little mistakes as well as making a flawless smoky eye.

Lauren Cole: Maybelline’s BB Cream Foundation

My biggest obsession with makeup has become Maybelline’s BB Cream Foundation. Not only does it improve your skin but it has a flawless lightweight coverage. I wear my BB Cream to class, the gym, on weekends… pretty much always! It gives the impression that you have perfect skin and aren’t wearing makeup. Who doesn’t want that!?

Gina Tabascio: L’Oreal’s Voluminous False Fiber Lashes Mascara

Shopping for mascara is always the most frustrating process in terms of makeup buying.  Between weeding out the ones that become clumpy and having to decide if you want long or thick lashes, finding the right brand can be tricky.  My best bet is hitting up Target and grabbing L’Oreal’s Voluminous False Fiber Lashes Mascara.  It’s reasonable in price, costing around $8.00, and it really does give off the effect of fake lashes.  I also like that it lasts throughout the day while still being easy to take off.  Ladies, get ready to bat those lashes because this mascara is like magic. 

Kari Lawrence: CoverGirl Silk Rose Blush

I love this CoverGirl Blush in Rose Blush because it gives your face a rosy fresh glow without being too pink or bright. I first used this product in seventh grade and although I have tried other products, nothing else compares. I still use it today! It’s a steal for less than $6 a pop and usually lasts as long as four or five months.

Hannah Dytrch: Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Nail Polish

You can’t go wrong with Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Nail Color. It lasts so long and doesn’t chip for at least a few weeks after application. What makes this product my favorite is it’s low price of only $2.79! Why bother paying $8 for the Essie brand when you can get a nail polish that works just as well for $5 cheaper? There are a ton of colors available so not matter what your style is you can enjoy this deal. My favorite shade is “Fuchsia Power.” Pick up your own Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Nail Color at drugstores everywhere. I can promise that you will love it!

Alex Jenkins: Perfect FIT Foundation by Maybelline

I have always struggled with finding a foundation that doesn’t get greasy as the day goes on. I use FIT by Maybelline as a liquid foundation before I apply my powder. It’s more of a trick I use to keep my make up intact for a long day, but if you’re in a hurry apply this and it will do the same thing a powder foundation does. If you don’t like the way powder feels on your face this is great because it moisturizes your skin while you wear it. Sometimes I forget that I even have makeup on! It’s versatile and can also be used as a spot corrector  for those pesky blemishes that show up on the worst days possible!

Maggie Ziemann: Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder. 

Every girl has her favorite makeup item that she always has to have and mine is Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Loose Powder.  It’s a mouthful to say but none-the-less this is a great cosmetic product!  The plus of buying Physicians Formula products are that they are made with minerals which are healthier for your skin. Many girls don’t like wearing powdered makeup because it looks caked on and feels heavy on your face. Physician’s Formula powders are very light on your skin and look natural once applied. This Mineral Loose Powder can be purchased for $11.95 which is a steal compared to normal mineral powders that are twice as expensive and not as easy to find. This product is great for everyone because it is healthy for your skin, natural, and is available in all skin colors!

Stephanie Robertson: Infallible by L’Oreal

This eye shadow keeps up with me day and night. I use Iced Latte for a light, every day shimmer. I switch it up a bit for going out and special occasions, but no matter what the color is, it always seems to lasts forever. They have a bit of shimmer to them, but unlike loose shadow, they don’t get in your eyes throughout the day! 

Megan Lawler

Illinois State