Halloween Costumes With What Is In Your Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

​Ahhh Halloween, a time to have fun and dress however your heart desires.

If you’re like me, though, you most likely have little money and would rather get some milk than have the coolest Halloween costume at a party.

No need to fear, my cheapskate sisters. I come with ideas that require either no purchases or super cheap accessories.

I have not bought a Halloween costume in about 5 years. One reason is because I danced for many years, and I see potential in all of my dance costumes, even the bad ones. I will not be talking about how to re-purpose dance costumes, but rather your everyday clothing.

1. Witch

This is my favorite costume of all time, mostly because it’s easy and fun. All you need is black clothing. Once you’re completely clothed in black, add some fun makeup. You can do a glam witch, but I prefer to do some black contour to make it spooky. For those who want to add some more flair, you can always buy a hat or a broom, but that’s totally optional!

2. Mermaid

Wear some fun colored clothes for this one! I think sticking to blues, pinks, and purples are the most mermaid-ish, but really, it’s Halloween. Wear what you want. Next, get a pair of super cheap fishnets and add some fun colored scales to your face. Boom, you’re now a mermaid.

3. Unicorn

This really follows the same plan as mermaid. Wear some pastel colored clothing, and then have some fun with your makeup. I personally think if you want to be a unicorn, you should splurge and get the horn. It will finish up the look, and you won’t get asked a million times what your costume is.

4. Devil

If you’re picking up on what I’m putting down, you may already be able to guess how to dress as a devil. Wear all red, and then do your makeup devil-ish. I would suggest continuing with the red theme with your makeup. You do not have to cover your whole face in red – just do some red lipstick and call it a day. Buy some horns if you’re feeling it, but hey, the devil is broke this year.

5. Cat

This is really a no brainer, but it needed to be added to the list. You can choose two routes here: wear cheetah print or all black, depending on what your closet has to offer. Draw on a cat nose with whiskers, and add some ears if you want. Boom, you’re a cat.

6. Super-fan

This is a really fun and really easy costume. If you own any clothing from a favorite TV show, movie, or band, wear it and call yourself a superfan. You could spend the whole night just giving out fun facts about your obsession. The best part of this ensemble is just how comfortable it is.

7. Athlete

Throw on a jersey, a sweat band, tennis shoes, and talk about how much you love your team. Being an athlete is not only easy and fun, but also so very comfortable.

8. Hippie

For the tie-dye loving people out there, this costume is for you. Wear anything tie-dye or some 70s-ish patterns. Add in a middle part with some cool bang curls, and you, my friend, are now a hippie. For extra oomph, wear bell bottom pants.

I hope some of these ideas are useful to you or sparked a thought in your head. Have a spooky Halloween, and remember, keep it cheap.

Karys Crandell

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State