A girlfriend’s guide to Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

So if you’re not one of those many girls crying over a pint full of Ben & Jerry’s watching The Notebook on repeat on February 14th, this article will actually come in handy for you! That’s right, we have catered to all the dedicated girlfriends out there for Valentine Day. The ones who have a great man by their side and want to surprise them with the perfect present. There are many options you have to choose from for this special holiday – you can go sexy, you can go sweet, or you can go sentimental. All of these are good choices; you just have to know what is right for your guy. So here is a look at some great ideas for presents to sweeten or spice up your relationship. Depending on what type of guy you’re dating, check out the presents that are catered towards him!

The Cool Guy
Authentic Stadium Seat Cufflinks
Your man is classy. Your man is clean cut. What else screams classy and clean cut as much as a snazzy pair of cuff links? Nothing, that’s what. Cuff links are timeless and elegant but wait – you aren’t just getting your man any old pair. These cuff links are crafted from salvaged seats from some of America’s most beloved baseball stadiums. It is a great way to incorporate parts of a baseball team he loves into something stylish! And I’d say this is way better than getting him a silly old Dodgers t-shirt. 
http://www.uncommongoods.com/product/authentic-stadium-seat-cufflinks

The Music Man
Beats Headphones by Dr. Dre

These may be a little bit pricey but they are off the charts awesome!I see at least three guys wearing these around campus at all times and my guy friends all tell me they are dying for a pair. He will be so grateful he can finally throw out his old iPod earplugs and have something respectable to bump his Weezy out of. And hey, you could even get yourself a cute pair of pink ones while you’re at it!
http://beatsbydre.com/

The Trend Setter
Ray-Ban Clubmaster Sunglasses

Your guy is always on the cusp on the latest trends and you love him for that, so this is the perfect gift to help him keep up with his hip style. These new style of Ray-Ban wayfarers are the soon-to-be the hottest things on the shelves, so snatch your boy a pair of them to give his proof of his trendsetter status.  When he’s not wearing them, you can always rock them yourself since they look great on girls, too.
ww.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasses

The Humanitarian
Toms “Classic” Canvas Slip-ons in Red

Your guy gives and gives and gives all year round, so how about this Valentine’s Day you cater to his generous ways and give him a gift that keeps on giving! These fashionable Toms shoes are a great way to support his love for others while also hooking up his wardrobe. He can rock this pair of canvas sneakers while knowing he’s helping give back to the less fortunate.
www.toms.com

The Food Lover
Heart Shaped Bacon

You know how they say “the quickest way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.” I think they actually meant to say “the quickest way to a man’s heart is through BACON. Lots and lots of BACON.” This present is a creative and yummy way to impress your man with your cooking skills while also adding a great Valentine’s Day twist to it. Serve it up with some eggs and pancakes, and guaranteed your man will be smiling from ear to ear this V-Day.

The Tech-Savvy
Kindle Fire

This new Kindle Fire is the hottest thing on the technology market right now. Not only does it incorporate the devices of the old Kindle, such as being able to buy books and magazines right to your tablet, but your man will now be able to play games, search the web and even watch movies on his hot new Kindle Fire. It will keep him entertained for hours and think of all the satisfaction he’ll get after he beats the 110th level of Angry Birds!

The Romantic
Personalized Picture Frame

This picture frame is such a classic gift and will never get old. The thing is, you know that even the greatest guy won’t take the initiative to pick out a picture, print it out and get it framed – so that’s why you need to do it for him! He will be thanking you for going through all the trouble of doing it and it will look great resting on his bedside table. And plus now he can show off his hot girlfriend to all his friends! There’s nothing better than that!
http://www.gifts.com/search/product/Personalized-Gifts-Our-LOVE-Photo-Cube?ideaID=3700&prodID=150664

The Guy’s Guy
The Guy’s Guy Gift Basket

Get him this present and you can thank me later because I’m pretty sure after he opens this he is going to want to MARRY YOU. It is the perfect combination of cute and practical. It is basically the guys version of getting roses for Valentine’s Day. He is going to love that you got him something he doesn’t have to return at Express three days later, and all his friends are going to be insanely jealous that he has such a kick-butt girlfriend like you. You’re welcome.

The “Boyfriend-gift-when-its-really-a-gift-for-you”
Sexy Lingerie

Ahhh… and last but not least we have the gift of all gifts. The Holy Grail of all Valentine’s Day presents. The top gift of all boyfriends’ wish lists. It is….sexy lingerie. The funny thing here ladies is, he thinks you’re doing this all for him but in reality, you’re getting a present back for yourself. It’s not only a gift you get to keep and use to your discretion but you also get to pick it out yourself AND feel sexy and confident while showing it off for him. This gift really is the best of both worlds, and that’s why it is the all-time classic.

Megan Lawler

Illinois State

Megan Maginity

Illinois State

Megan is a sophomore Journalism major at Illinois State University, with a minor in Creative Writing. She balances her time between class, her sorority- Gamma Phi Beta, and writing for the college newspaper- The Daily Vidette. When she’s not busy, Meg likes to shop for the best sales, rollerblade, hang out with friends or watch reruns of Sex and The City. Becoming a campus correspondent/editor-in-chief was a great accomplishment for her because she is an aspiring writer, hoping to take on the world of mass media after graduation in 2013.