Fifty Shades of Grey Movie: Who Will Play Anastasia Steele?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

One of the most talked about books the past year is the Fifty Shades Trilogy, written by British Author E. L. James. The books are erotic romance and focus on a number of controversial topics, one being BDSM (bondage, discipline, dominance, submission, sadism, masochism).  Yes, I know that sentence is scary but trust me it is not extremely graphic and tries to stray away from scary details of BDSM that no one wants to know.

I took the leap and read all three books over the summer and became obsessed! I will admit that I had to stop reading halfway through the first one when things started getting a little strange, but ended up going back to it the next day and couldn’t stop reading. In my opinion, all three had great story lines and kept my interest. If you have not read the books yet I highly encourage it, just be sure to keep an open mind.

With all the success from the books, Fifty Shades fans knew making a movie was in the cards. They have not yet started production, because they are still looking for the right cast members. Here are a few options we have for what brave woman could play the coveted role of Anastasia Steele! 

Lyndsy Fonesca: One word: Fierce! This 26-year-old actress has had roles in Kick-Ass, How I Met Your Mother and Hot Tub Time Machine. It seems as though she has been laying low for a while, maybe the role of Ana could put her in the spotlight.

Alexis Knapp: We all know her from Pitch Perfect as Stacie, but in my opinion, she would make a fantastic Ana Steele.  She has a very innocent look to her and could pull off the 22-year-old college student look very easily.

Ashley Greene: This Twilight star would be great as Anastasia; the dark hair, innocent looks and quiet vibe would be perfect. Also, seeing as Fifty Shades started out as twilight fan fiction, it would be fitting that she should get her shot as leading lady.

Mila Kunis: What is not to love about her? She is gorgeous and hilarious but does she have the innocent/dark side needed to play Ana Steele? Her role in Black Swan was pretty intense; this girl can pretty much play any role. It all comes down to who fits the profile best.

Falynn Lannert

Illinois State

Megan Lawler

Illinois State