Don’t Forget Why You’re at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

College can definitely get overwhelming. There’s going to class, homework, quizzes, tests, social life, wanting to work out, internships, clubs; the list could go on and on. A lot of times we can get a little TOO overwhelmed with all of the demands that college life brings. Naturally, that leads to dropping some things so that your to-do list gets a little bit smaller. Before you start stressing and dropping things that will help you in the future, hold on one second.

College kids can get a little hasty and forget the real reason why they are at college. Yes, college is fun. There are parties, you meet new people and you’re finally away from home. All of those things are great, but they cannot hold you back from what college is truly about: applying yourself. Join your major clubs, apply for internships within your field and learn as much as you can about your career within the four years you have.

The material that we learn in classes is important, but experience is everything. Don’t let the fear of being “too busy” stop you from taking advantage of these opportunities. Most of the time these are free opportunities too! Parties can wait. Honestly, even homework can usually wait a few hours too, if it means bettering your future.

All of these experiences and resources are at college for a reason, so be sure to use them to their full advantage! This is your time to be ambitious and excited!

Allison O'Brien

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State