This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

You see this indie-folk artist singing with her ukulele on the Quad or maybe walking to class with her guitar case in hand, her name is Alexandra Fisher and she has a bright future ahead of her. Fisher is an ISU elementary education major by day and an aspiring musician by night. Read our interview with Alex and find out more about how she got started and her musical plans for the future.

HC: Who would you say are some of your favorite artists or musical inspirations?
Fisher: I feel as though I find an admirable quality in every musician’s work that I encounter or experience that push me to work harder with my own work. A few more-mainstream artists that really inspire would be Glen Hansard, Bon Iver, Sigur Ros, Damien Rice, Blair, The Beach Boys, Stars, Fitz and The Tantrums, William Fitzsimmons and The Head and the Heart. ‘Mad C’, a local Bloomington/Normal rapper has really opened my eyes to some new incredible music arrangements. We made a song called, “Sweet Potato Morning” for a Documentary that we are being featured in. Pairing two unlikely genres of music really intrigues me, and Mad C enabled me to dabble into that idea a little more.

HC: How long have you been singing for?
Fisher: I’m one of the only musically involved member in my family, but my parents always sang with us kids growing up. I have always found so much joy in singing since I can remember but I never really sang seriously in front of people until my senior year in high school. Eventually, I came to the conclusions that it simply made me happy to sing. So I just did it!

HC: What made you want to start writing music?
Fisher: I was a real big band nerd growing up. During that time, my friends and I would make little jingles with our band instruments and then we would goof off and make music videos with beats behind it. I started using that as my inspiration. Writing music is just a way for me to get through things in my life or explain something I’m feeling without having to say it out loud. I’d rather tell you, ”have a great day!” with a uke song!

HC: How has the launch of your new online store been going?
Fisher: I kind of made the website on a whim, just for the fun of it! But, it was really cool to see that I had 179 views within the first few hours! It’s just fun to try new social networking projects.

HC: What was the inspiration between your latest song, “Covering Your Ground”?
Fisher: “Covering Your Ground” is a huge mix-up of jumbled thoughts that had been conjured in my head during the beginning of this most recent semester and writing the song was a huge therapeutic moment for me. However, it’s cliché and true that I DO tend to write about previous or current boy interests. At the same time, I write just as much about my childhood, family, and objects around my daily life.

HC: Describe the sound of your music in 3 words or less.
Fisher: It’s what you think of when you see, eat, or hear “Grandma’s Homemade Cookies.”

HC: What are your musical plans for the future?
Fisher: I just got a band together for future live performances and I also just started recording with a Rap group called the TC Collective, which will be on Band Camp within the next week or two. In addition, mini tours during this summer are being thrown in the air by Doug Rever, my promoter- so we will see what happens with that! I am also shooting a music video for “Covering Your Ground” with Steph Milovic on sunday and my EP will be released at the end of May.

HC: Do you have any shows coming up as of right now?
Fisher: I have a big show coming up May 4th at the Firehouse. Also, I’m doing a few songs in between sets for the Last Blast Event on the Quad on April 28th in addition to June 2 at Coffeenation.

CHECK HER OUT MORE!

“LIKE” Fisher’s music Facebook page.
Fisher’s Soundcloub music page and Bigcartlet merch page.

Megan Lawler

Illinois State

Megan Maginity

Illinois State

Megan is a sophomore Journalism major at Illinois State University, with a minor in Creative Writing. She balances her time between class, her sorority- Gamma Phi Beta, and writing for the college newspaper- The Daily Vidette. When she’s not busy, Meg likes to shop for the best sales, rollerblade, hang out with friends or watch reruns of Sex and The City. Becoming a campus correspondent/editor-in-chief was a great accomplishment for her because she is an aspiring writer, hoping to take on the world of mass media after graduation in 2013.