7 Delicious Drinks for the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Yes my friends, that time of the year is quickly approaching. The leaves are falling, the crop tops are getting sleeves and the holidays are right around the corner. Which means two very exciting things: ISU will soon be blessed with two gloriously close breaks and we will all be able to go home, relax and celebrate the holiday season with our loved ones. And what better way is there to celebrate then with delicious seasonal drinks? Here are seven decadent drinks sure to spice up your holiday season.

1.      Irish Coffee

For cold mornings when you are lounging at home with friends or family, there are few things better than this classic treat. All you need is a mug of your favorite black coffee, a shot of Bailey’s Irish cream (my favorite is mint chocolate, but feel free to mix it up) and of course some whip cream, and voila! A delicious and satisfying drink in no time!

2.    Butterscotch Apple Cider

This is a recipe that requires a serious sweet tooth. I learned it from my best friend’s mom over parents’ weekend at ISU and have been eager to share it ever since (mom’s seems to have a way with this sort of stuff) Combine a half gallon of apple cider, a few cinnamon sticks and 8 oz. of butterscotch schnapps. Heat until boiling and then serve piping hot! Garnish with cinnamon sticks if you are entertaining.

3.     Virgin Candy Cane Martini

This drink is guaranteed to impress not only the taste buds, but the eyes as well. For this festive drink you will need a martini glass, cranberry juice, mint extract, mint leaves and crushed peppermint candies for garnish. Finely crush the candies and dip the rim of the martini glass into the cranberry juice. Twist the top of the glass into the candies until it is fully coated. Fill the martini glass with the cranberry juice and add a few drops of peppermint schnapps. For the finishing touch, press the mint leaves in between your palms (this will release more flavor) and set atop the drink.

4.     Christmas Morning Mimosa

Nothing says brunch quite like a mimosa. For the big morning why not surprise your loved ones with this refreshing drink. All you need is a bottle of champagne (if you’re on a budget like me, I recommend anything by Barefoot) and cranberry juice. Fill the champagne flutes two thirds of the way with champagne and finish off with a splash of cranberry juice. Add a maraschino cherry to each glass for garnish. For a non-alcoholic version just substitute the champagne with Welch’s sparkling white grape juice!

5.     Peppermint Hot Chocolate

Looking for a perfect pick me up after a cold day playing in the snow? This hot chocolate will warm you both inside and out. In a medium saucepan combine 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, a quart of milk, one half cup chocolate chips and seven peppermint sticks. Bring to a boil and ladle into your favorite mugs. Garnish with a peppermint stick and share with 

Looking for a perfect pick me up after a cold day playing in the snow? This hot chocolate will warm you both inside and out. In a medium saucepan combine 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, a quart of milk, one half cup chocolate chips and seven peppermint sticks. Bring to a boil and ladle into your favorite mugs. Garnish with a peppermint stick and share with friends

6.      Low Calorie Holiday Sangria

The holidays are always a dangerous time when it comes to keeping off the pounds so I thought I would add a lower calorie recipe for holiday sangria. In a large pitcher combine one bottle of your favorite red wine, ¼ cup orange liqueur, diced fresh fruit like apples and pears and a cinnamon stick. Pour into glasses and top with a fruity flavored seltzer water. Garnish with and orange slice and enjoy at only 150 a serving (makes 8 sesrvings).

7.      Autumn in a Cup

Spiced cider is one of the many perks of the autumn season, and this recipe combines all the delicious flavors of fall in a cup. Combine a half gallon of cider, 2 cups orange juice, 2 cinnamon sticks, a teaspoon grated orange zest ¼ teaspoon nutmeg and ¼ teaspoon allspice. Boil all of the ingredients together for fifteen minutes, immediately remove from heat and strain. Put the cider in a to go thermos and you are set for a day of tailgating! 

Contributor account for Illinois State