2014 Swimwear Trends: Tan Line Approved?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Summer is coming. Eventually, I mean. Although it may seem like this winter is never-ending, swimwear is the one tangible thing that is totally expectable to start obsessing over… even if it is the end of February. *sigh* With the hopeful bliss of warmer weather, I started to browse the up-and-coming swimwear trends and let me tell you… your tan lines are in for a rude awakening. While I myself don’t mind an artfully inspired silhouette or a retrospective look into past trends (circa 1950s), I know for some that the forecasted swimwear trends for 2014 will have you astounded.

High-Waisted 

Alright, I admit it… I’m kind-of digging this. It may just be my love for the era that high-waisted swimsuits originated from, but mostly because of the flattering silhouette it offers. High-waisted everything has been the craze and it was only a matter of time before it transformed to swimwear. If you don’t mind the mid-stomach tan line, by all means, give this trend a try! I might be in the masses.

Enhanced Straps

Usually people are trying to avoid the “strap” tan-lines, but with these suits it will definitely be a challenge. These cute tops give an interesting twist on the classic triangles that occupies everyone’s swimsuit drawer (mine included). Although I love the one-strap and high-neck strap styles, it will absolutely be a tremendous transition from “beach” to “business” with regards to tan lines.

Cut-outs and Cages

The epic one-piece has made its re-vamped debut, with (to some people), “missing pieces.” This monkini gives a unique geometric vibe that will have anyone on the beach swooning. This caged bikini top offers an equally daring style that may leave you with some very unique tan lines, but all the compliments you will be getting will make it worthwhile. Channel your inner Angelina Jolie and try these edgy swimsuits this summer season.

Loving the swimsuits from above? You can find all of these fabulous swimwear ensembles at asos.com. Have a great spring break fashionistas/os! 

Cassie Zimmer

Illinois State

Hi! My name is Cassie Zimmer and I am a writer for HerCampus Illinois State. I am so excited to have just joined an awesome group of ladies to share my love of writing with. I am a fashionista who loves keeping up to date with the latest trends in the fashion industry. I hope to write articles that will be enjoyable for the fans of HerCampus to read and will hopefully take something away from the information I provide.