13 Reasons Why We Love Going Home For The Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It’s hard to believe that midterms are a few short weeks away when it seems like only yesterday we were packing our cars in our hometowns and heading back to our college towns for another year of school. While it’s been great going out on the weekends, going for drives with your friends to avoid responsibilities, and living at school surrounded by things you love, you can’t help but miss little snippets of home. These are just a few reasons why going home for the weekend will give you some extra needed TLC:

1.     You’re reunited with your family, your pets and most importantly, your bed and there is nothing sweeter than sleeping in your own bed. 

2.     You then get to trap your pet in your room and force it to spend time with you until you see fit.

3.     Spending time with your family is special and priceless, until they decide they’ve reached their daily limit of your shenanigans and leave the house to run errands or go out for the day. 4.     When you’re home alone you can eat as much as you want without it affecting your bank account and you rediscover how earth shattering your DVR is.

5.     You’re reminded that Lean Cuisine’s are not real food when your mom makes her famous mashed potatoes and you find yourself apologizing to your body for what you’ve been putting it through.

6.     A visit to your grandma’s house never hurts either, especially when she prepares you a three-course breakfast and has Dunkin Donuts iced coffee waiting upon your arrival.

7.     It makes you realize how truly stupid boys are and how smart your family is because the key to your heart is through your stomach, basically.

8.     Going for drives through your hometown are filled with familiar places like your favorite park, pizza joint and all of the memories you’ve accumulated at these places through the years.

9.     Especially the ones like throwing up at that house party sophomore year of high school and swearing you’d never drink again. Hah yeah, those were the days.  

10.  But also being completely content with staying in on that Saturday night with your Mom, a pint of Ben and Jerry’s and an entire DVR stocked full of Jimmy Fallon.

11. Even though you’re begging your Mom the entire time to go back to school because she managed to cook you five meals, do all of your laundry and buy you groceries in the 48 hour span you were home.

12. Short amounts of time in your hometown are small reminders of how truly blessed you are with how you were raised and whom you were raised by.

13. And while you need time to go to college, do your own thing and figure out this life thing, it’s always comforting to know that you always have a place to run to and for me, that’s home. 

Contributor account for Illinois State