Raising HIV and AIDS Awareness: Bryan Fiallos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Humboldt chapter.

Bryan Fiallos never had a bike growing up, but now he rides about six times a week — weather permitting.

The junior Critical Race, Gender and Sexuality Studies major first started cycling a few years ago when he won a bike in a radio contest.

“I love biking because it doesn’t feel like exercise,” Fiallos said. “I went from 250 down to 180.”

His furthest ride so far has been from Arcata to Patrick’s Point and back, totaling about 44 miles.

Fiallos plans to utilize his newfound passion for cycling by participating in a long distance bike ride to benefit HIV and AIDS services with AIDS/LifeCylce. On his trip, Fiallos will pedal 42 to 108 miles each day.

AIDS/LifeCycle is a seven day, 545 mile bike ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles that raises money and awareness for the HIV and AIDS services of the L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center and the San Francisco AIDS Foundation.

“It’s about educating people and educating ourselves,” Fiallos said. “It sucks not having answers.”

More than one million people in the U.S. live with HIV. One in every five people afflicted with HIV have not been diagnosed. Women accounted for about 24 percent of new HIV cases reported in 2009. That same year, over 6,000 college-aged men and women were diagnosed with HIV.

You can eliminate your risk for contracting HIV by abstaining from sex or by using condoms consistently and correctly.

Zoe is a 19-year-old sophomore at Humboldt State University. She is majoring in journalism with minors in graphic design and dance. She is currently the Assistant General Manager and Head of PR for the student-run radio station, KRFH, and the Head Layout Editor for HSU's student newspaper, The Lumberjack. She has also worked as a writer, photographer, and designer for the campus magazine, Osprey. Zoe is ecstatic to be starting HSU's Her Campus branch. With hopes to one day work at a major women's magazine, Her Campus is a step in the right direction. Aside from being an aspiring journalist, Zoe enjoys performing (she's danced for five years, played the cello for 10, and done musical theatre for 12!), bike riding, and painting.