Taraji P. Henson

Posted -

Taraji P. Henson is well known for her breakthrough role in the movie Hustle&Flow. More recently, she can be seen starring in the movie based on Steve Harvey’s book, Act Like A Lady, Think Like a Man. Before she made it to the big time, however, Henson was a Howard University bison.

She transferred to Howard University and graduated in 1995. While in D.C, she worked two jobs: a secretary at the Pentagon and in the night as a singing and dancing waitress on a dinner cruise ship—The Spirit of Washington—to pay for Howard University. She won the Triple Threat Award and graduated with a degree in Theater Arts.

This degree paid off, as many of us know, as she has landed many important roles since her graduation. To aspiring actors she states, “Study it. Study it. It’s a craft, and you gotta study it.”

Get more HC!

Get the best of Her Campus, right in your inbox! Learn more.

About The Author

Kalia Williams sophomore English major with a a minor in Journalism. She is from McAllen, TX, a budding town on the border of Texas and Mexico. She is interested in fashion, cinematography, traveling and learning languages. In addition to writing for HerCampus-Howard University, she serves as the editor of Sterling Notes, the literary magazine at Howard University. She is an avid fan of soccer and aspires to go to the World Cup 2014 in Brazil!

Editor's Note

From Around The Web

We Recommend

User login