Bison Basketball, James Daniel (’17)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

With basketball season heating up at Howard the Her Campus team decided to have some one on one time with sophomore, James Daniel outside of the hardwood.

Nickname: Jaybyrd

Position & Number: Pointguard, 11

Height: 6”0

Major: Sociology

Hometown: Hampton, VA

1. Favorite Team:

San Antonio Spurs

2. When did you start playing basketball?

I started playing basketball when I was at 4. My dad is a high school coach and he would take me to gym with him and that’s how I fell in love with the game.

3. What do you like to do in your free time when you’re not playing basketball?

I like to bowl, cool out with my family, and just chill and relax because basketball is very taxing. 

4. What’s a special talent you have that not many people know about?

I can whistle really loud. Like so loud that everyone in here would be quiet. (I nicely asked him not to)

5. How do you stay focused while playing basketball with so many people and the distractions they bring?

I just focus on the big picture. I know that basketball has brought me this far and can take me other places. I use that as motivation

6. What’s your favorite basketball-related memory?

My freshman year of high school, my team won the district championship. That was really big for not only my team but also for the school.  

Thank you for sitting down with us and we hope the team continues to have a great season!