Alum Spotlight: Freddie Ransome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

Fredricka ‘Freddie’ Ransome was a Radio/TV/Film Production major with a concentration in TV production and minor in photography from Richmond, VA, in Howard University’s Class of 2012. She currently works as a video producer at BuzzFeed Motion Pictures in Los Angeles, CA for the past two years. Her focus is making content around beauty, style, and smashing gender norms.

JADE: How was your first two weeks at weeks at Howard University, from move-in day to the first day of classes?

FREDDIE: My first two weeks at Howard University were a little rough actually. Even though I wasn’t far from my family (Richmond, VA), being in a new space and having to make new friends was tough. Freshmen week was a big help though.

JADE: What was it like to be a Radio/TV/Film Production major? Did you always know that you wanted to be in the entertainment industry?

FREDDIE: I switched my major back and forth from broadcast journalism to RTF a couple of times. I eventually realized that I was more interested and /invested in learning the behind-the-scenes (filming, directing, editing) as opposed to strictly on-screen or /hard news stuff.

JADE: In 2008, how did it feel to be a black college student in D.C as Barack Obama was running for presidency?

FREDDIE: Wow, I don’t know how I got so lucky and the universe was on my side enough to allow me to be at Howard University when Barack Obama got elected. There were so many milestones around that time. I was a freshman in college, a first time voter, and it was my first time experiencing an election so closely (and geographically so close to the actual White House). It felt like an out-of-body experience. We were all in Blackburn being black as hell and the celebration was ongoing and lasted for like a year

JADE: How does Howard prepare you for the real world in a way that other colleges don’t?

FREDDIE: Going to an HBCU is the only time in life you’ll be able to choose to be around your people and only your people. It is such a rich experience and contrary to what most people believe, it IS very diverse. I think HBCUs give you the confidence to be yourself without having to TRY to fit in. It’s something that you can take beyond your college years into the workforce, where you’ll most likely be the minority.HBCU is the only time in life you’ll be able to choose to be around your people and only your people. It is such a rich experience and contrary to what most people believe, it IS very diverse. I think HBCUs give you the confidence to be yourself without having to TRY to fit in. It’s something that you can take beyond your college years into the workforce, where you’ll most likely be the minority.

JADE: After graduation, how was your transition from college into the workforce?

FREDDIE: After graduation, I had an internship at a non-profit in D.C. for the summer, and then I moved home and went to bartending school until I figured out a way to make it to LA or NY permanently. I got accepted into the NBC Page Program and moved to NY in February 2013.

JADE: What opportunities did you get while being at Howard and how has it affected your life today?

FREDDIE: The NBC Page Program is a really competitive program. I was able to get my resume to the top of the pile because I had a connection with an Howard Alum who had been in the program and she helped me along. The program was really tough and even competitive once you were in it. All pages are competing for different assignments and rotations around the company. I’ve learned how to hustle, grind, and network like no other.

JADE: What is it like to work at BuzzFeed? Was this the dream job you dreamt of when you were in school?

FREDDIE: BuzzFeed wasn’t my dream job when I was in school. I was very focused on getting a job in traditional media, specifically television. I got a good taste of it when I was in the NBC Page Program for 1 year and then the year following when I was a production assistant for MSNBC dayside programming. I realized that having creative control and truly getting hands on experience wasn’t going to happen for me for many years working in traditional media, so I sought after a job in digital media, BuzzFeed being my number one choice. BuzzFeed is awesome. It’s SUPER hands on and I’ve learned so much about the internet, YouTube, my voice, and my perspective.

JADE: What advice do you have for HU21?

FREDDIE: Connect and collaborate. Find people on campus who have similar interests and career goals because you could really be a force.

Jade Carson is a 20-something year old, Maternal and Child Health major, Sociology minor at Howard University. The Brooklyn native is thrilled to explore life beyond the Big Apple for the next four years. As an aspiring certified doula, Jade is not only looking forward to learning more about the esoteric land of the medical field but is also hoping to shake off her two-year-long writer's block in hopes of completing her first full-length novel. You can read the young author's published work on Wattpad as well friending her on Instagram and Twitter at @jadecarsonxo.