The Top Five Excuses You Should Never Use with Your Professor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hollins chapter.

Midterms are just around the corner, which means that you’re probably drowning in a sea of serious assignments. Straight-A student or not, you’re bound to have some nights where you fall asleep with a textbook in your lap before finishing whatever work is due the next morning.

It doesn’t matter if you’re a freshman or a seasoned senior, everyone scrambles during this time of year and there are times when work just doesn’t get done. It’s always a good idea to ask for help and there’s nothing wrong with letting a professor know that you’re struggling, but there are a few phrases you should never, ever use.

5.    I didn’t have time to finish the reading. – It’s never a good idea to admit to not having completed an assignment by the due date. Most college classes move at a fast rate and not doing the homework holds you and the rest of the class back. Plus, it makes you look bad. One collegiette had a classmate tell a teacher she had fallen asleep during the reading and didn’t complete the assignment when she woke up. Needless to say, their professor was not pleased. 
Instead try: I don’t feel as prepared as usual for class today, next time I’ll have more to contribute.
Why it will work: You aren’t admitted to not having done your homework and you’re not lying. You’re also acknowledging that you take the class seriously and respect the time and effort that other students put in.

4.       I’ve been really busy with my other classes, can I get an extension on this assignment? – Most college professors have committed their lives to their research and the academic world. Telling your professor that you don’t have time for their class belittles their work as scholars and educators.
Instead try: I’ve been under a lot of stress and I’m not producing my best work. I know that this assignment is due by [insert date here, but always come to your professor at least four or five days in advance] but is there any way I could get an extension? I really want to show you what I’m capable of doing. 
Why it will work: By coming to your professor in advance, you’re expressing that you’re thinking about the assignment and haven’t waited until the last minute. You’re also not suggesting that other classes are more important and inadvertently belittling your professor’s class.
[pagebreak] 

3.       I know I didn’t do well on this test, is there any extra credit I can do? – If your professor doesn’t start off the semester by offering extra credit, chances are they probably aren’t going to. Asking for extra credit can lead professors to believe that you intend to (or have been) slacking on assigned work.
Instead try: I’m interested in this topic and would like to do some personal exploration. Could I possibly receive credit for more in depth research?
Why it will work: Professors who don’t give out extra credit expect you to do your best on every assignment so you don’t use extra credit assignments as a crutch. Voluntarily offering to do more work is completely different and your professor will probably be pleased that you’re showing great interest in the class material.

2.       Sorry I wasn’t in class last week, I just wasn’t feeling up to it. – Never tell a professor that you “just couldn’t make it” to their class. Some professors require proof that you had a family emergency or medical injury and can tell if you have a lame excuse. 

Instead try: I was unable to make it to class due to personal difficulties. I made up all of the work and it won’t happen again.
Why it will work: Admitting that you skipped class is never a good idea but you really can’t be penalized for confessing that you’re going through a difficult time in your life, especially if you’re being sincere.

1.     I missed the last class, was there any homework? – Try never to come to class totally unprepared. It looks bad and slows down the class for everyone involved. Plus, most professors are required by their universities to give out syllabuses with scheduled assignments, so there is no reason you shouldn’t be caught up, even if you miss a class or two.
Instead try: I got the notes from the class I missed from a classmate, is there anything not in the notes or on the syllabus that I should know about?
Why it will work: You’re proving to your professor that you are a responsible adult and a committed student by keeping up with your work, even if you couldn’t make it to their class.

College professors know that around midterms students are overloaded, overworked and overstressed. There’s nothing wrong with having moments when you can’t get everything done (check out our article about fitting as much work into a day as possible!) and you should feel comfortable enough to let your professors know what you’re going through. Next time you can’t fit everything in, talk to your professors and let them know what’s up without being disrespectful or making yourself look bad. What do you think collegiettes™, did we leave anything out? Leave a comment below and let us know!

Amber is a recent graduate from Hollins University. She greatly enjoyed her time as HC Hollins Editor-In-Chief and looks forward to seeing what great things new students bring to the branch.