Hollins Intercultural Reception Recipe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hollins chapter.

Every year during parent’s weekend, members of international groups including Carvin Global Village, I.S.O.P, and Cultural & Community Engagement co-host a intercultural reception dinner with the school.  This event introduces Hollins community to cultures that most of us are not familiar with, through international dishes, music and performances. In the spirit of intercultural dining, give this dorm-friendly Spring Roll recipe a try (and check out the Intercultural Reception page for more information!)

Ingredients
1 pound bean sprout
1 pack of thin bean-noodles
½ pound of shrimps
1 beaten egg 

Wrapping
1 pack of spring roll wrapper
4 tablespoons of water
1 tablespoon of cornstarch

Seasoning
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons chicken powder

Preparation
1) Mix all the seasoning and ingredients together. Heat the wok with a medium high heat. Stir Fry the ingredients with oil for about 5 to 6 minutes. Set it aside to cool down for about 10-15 minutes. If needed, use kitchen towel to drain the excessive water of the cooked fillings.
2) Mix the cornstarch with water which will be used as “glue” to seal the wrappers.
3) To wrap, lay the spring roll wrapper. Place 1 tablespoon of filling in the middle of the wrapper. Make sure the fillings are spread out but not too close to the edges. Then roll the fillings with the wrapper. To seal the wrapper, use fingertip to dip some cornstarch water and glue along the edges of the wrapper.
4) Use 4-5 cups of oil for deep frying. When the oil is heat up, fry the spring rolls for around 8 minutes. Let the spring rolls cool down 3 mins before serving. 

Amber is a recent graduate from Hollins University. She greatly enjoyed her time as HC Hollins Editor-In-Chief and looks forward to seeing what great things new students bring to the branch.