Introducing Our Big Man On Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at High Point chapter.

Introducing Our Big Man On Campus

Name: Kyle Connolly
Year: Junior
Major: Communications- Electronic Media.
Dream job: Cameraman for the Discovery Channel or National Geographic so I could travel the world.

Kyle Connolly was a contestant in Zeta Tau Alpha’s 5th Annual Big Man On Campus competition last Wednesday. The show is similar to a male beauty pageant, with different organizations on campus nominating a contestant. There were 15 contestants competing. Kyle, a member of Pi Kappa Phi fraternity, was nominated by Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority.

How’s it feel to be the Big Man On Campus?
I still don’t think it sank in yet, but right now it feels pretty good. I like it a lot. A lot of people said I would be the celeb on campus, I guess they’re right. A lot of people came up to me.

How many friend requests would you say you got?
40? Maybe a little less, around 30-40. I was kind of expecting it. Confirm confirm confirm!

Were you nervous during the show?
Actually, leading up to it, the whole time I was fine with it but the hours leading up to it I got worse and worse. And then we went to the Pike (Pi Kappa Alpha) house and everyone was like “You’ll be fine! We’re all gonna make a fool of ourselves.” Plus I drank a little bit. There was no way if I was sober I would pull that swimsuit.

Who would you say was your biggest competition?
Well of course James [Brunson.] He went before me in everything. Yeah, James or…that was it. That was it.

Do you have any hidden talents?
Besides being able to rap all of Baby Got Back or shake my ass? No, I’m not very talented at all. The only reason I knew that song was because I did something similar to this in high school. I didn’t have the words this time! The words were lower than the music when I did it before. It was so fast paced.

What was it like working with the sisters of Zeta Tau Alpha?
I had a lot of fun. Some of the other guys didn’t really like the strict schedule, but  I like this kind of stuff, it was a lot of fun I loved all the people.

Did you get close with any of the other guys that you didn’t know before?
Yeah! Well I knew a few of the guys but I got close with the Delta Sigs and Matt from the soccer team.  It was just a lot of fun. All the guys were great. And James of course. I invited him over to our house.

Which category out of the whole pageant do you think really sold the judges?
Swimsuit, that was uhh not such a good idea because I don’t have the greatest body for a swimsuit so it wasn’t that. Uhm I don’t know…maybe my talent? I don’t know, it wasn’t really a talent. I would say a little bit of everything. My talent and swimsuit weren’t awesome, I don’t think my interview were that awesome. Just a little bit of everything.

What’s something most people don’t know about you?
I’m a very open person; I don’t keep secrets really well even about myself. Well if someone who didn’t know me came up to me, I’d say I’m a very outgoing guy that doesn’t hold anything back, is laid back and likes to have a good time with people.

Anything else you want to add?
Well I’m a member of Pi Kappa Phi and we are the reigning frat on campus and I think that we just added to it. I know a lot of people think we’re not the “greatest” frat on campus but it goes to show being active on campus is awesome and people should check us out more often.

Christina Buttafuoco is a sophomore Communications-Journalism Major with a minor in English Writing at High Point University. She is a sister of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority, a lover of musicals, and an avid viewer of the Food Network. Christina grew up on Long Island, NY and headed down south to North Carolina during those awkward middle school years. Before she moved, her best friend ripped out pages from a fashion magazine and told her not to forget what fashion was. She didn't. Now Christina hopes to be an editor for one of those magazines one day. For now, she is so excited to bring Her Campus to HPU.