10 Things I’ve learned at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at High Point chapter.

Sophomore year is coming up fast but I’ve already learned so much at college! No doubt that over the next three years i’ll learn even more about myself and the world around me

1.   If you stay in for a weekend, its not the end of the world.

Netflix is a wonderful friend who will always be there for you.  If you’d rather spend your night watching Netflix in bed or whatever else you’d rather be doing instead of going out and partying, then do it.  Missing a weekend out doesn’t mean you’re actually missing out. 

2.  Pizza is great, but you shouldnt eat it everyday.

Who doesn’t love junk food?  Trick question.  But keep in mind, the freshman fifteen is a little terrifying and easily avoidable.  Treat your body like the beautiful home it is.  What you put into it, you’ll get out of it.  That being said, pizza is great, but you just shouldn’t eat it everyday. 

3.  Dont sleep in your makeup.

It’s a great feeling waking up to a fresh face, and taking your makeup off before bed can prevent those pesky blemishes.  It’s even better not wearing any makeup at all.  Embrace your natural beauty every once in a while and give your skin a break!

4.  Dont be afraid to laugh at yourself.

Things aren’t always going to go your way.  You aren’t always going to be happy with the outcome of a situation.  Sometimes, the best thing you can do for yourself is just laugh.  Laugh at the silly mistakes or mishaps that are just a daily part of life.  No one is perfect, you aren’t alone.  Just laugh at yourself every now and then; life is more fun that way.

5.  If you need a day to yourself, take a day to yourself.

It’s easy to become overwhelmed and stressed out especially in college.  If you need to take a mental health day and relax, then go ahead and do it.  Don’t let this become a regular occurrence.  When life presents you with difficulties, fight back!  You should work hard, but you should also keep a good grip on your mental sanity.  If you need a day off every now and then, treat yourself. 

6.  The gym is a wonderful place to be.

No one is expected to look their best at the gym.  You can roll in there with messy hair, old workout clothes, your headphones in, and you can lose yourself in your own world for a little bit without fearing judgement from anyone else.  Plus, working out releases endorphins in your brain that relieve stress and cheer you up!

7.  Morning classes are not the most terrible thing in the world.

Getting up before 8 may sound frightening, but the earlier you get your day started, the earlier you can finish your day and the more things you can accomplish.  It’s a good feeling to be up before the rest of the world and making good use of that time.  It’s an even better feeling to treat yourself to a nice breakfast, chapter of your favorite book, and cup of tea before your first class. 

8.  Dont be afraid to try new things.

In fact, go out of your way to try new things!  Rock climbing, ultimate frisbee, debate club, try it all!  You never know what you might end up really enjoying, and putting yourself out there is a great way to meet new people.  There will definitely be some things that aren’t for you, but how will you know until you try?

9.  A bad grade is not the end of the world.

I can promise you that 10 years from now you won’t remember the grade you got on that Calculus test that kept you up at night.  A bad grade here and there won’t be the end of your world.  Instead, it should just act as incentive for you to try harder or study more next time. 

10. Be nice to everyone, even when youd really rather not.

I saved this lesson for last because I really believe it’s the most important of all.  Kindness can go a long way.  You will always run into those people who threaten to bring out the worst in you, but let your kindness outshine everything else.  The world is already filled with negativity and meanness, be the difference.  Maya Angelou said it best, “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

(Just kidding… This isn’t really college!!!)

Literature major with a double minor in Psychology and Creative Writing at High Point University.
Carly is a Senior at High Point University. She’s an electronic media major and is involved with tons of different activities on campus. You can catch her running around campus with a grande mocha frap in one hand and talking on her phone very loudly to her mom in the other. She frequently likes to talk about her puppy, other puppies, and cute pictures of puppies. Follow her on twitter: @CarlyNed