The Greatest Love of All Is to Love Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Is it time for that once-a-year romantic fussing and stressing again? Or rather, listening and watching others fuss and stress? If you find yourself single this Valentine’s Day, like I do, then consider treating the most important person in your life, yourself!

You awesome, smart, and sexy thing! It is a shear wonder you are single, but then again, you are probably too busy building your empire? If this is the case, then remember to treat your hard-working butt this holiday! And I mean go all out with it: chocolates, new lacey underwear, flowers, crappy TV as a guilty pleasure, not counting the calories, and if you are in the mood, whip out your favourite “adults only” toy.

Gone are the days when you sacrifice your own needs for others. If it makes you happy, it is from now on your number one priority. I know we are not used to being selfish, and the things people say in expense of their own happiness is often puzzling.

I once took part in a conversation where a group of ladies were talking about sex (as we often do). The discussion turned to women’s orgasms to which I commented “My orgasm, my favourite words in the world!” The comment did not face the same happiness which I had felt while saying it. A heated discussion began on how that type of thinking was selfish, and how your orgasm are actually the best two words in the English vocabulary.

Talking about sex, finance, health, education or love, my look on life is that you cannot pour to others if your glass is empty. Healthy selfishness is crucial for one’s wellbeing. While I wish everyone around the world have as many orgasms as their hearts please, I stand by what I said, me, myself and I come (and cum) first.   

Whether you like to treat yourself with sports, watching sports with a bag of chips, reading a good book, ordering pizza and eating in bed, or something that is guaranteed to bring a healthy blush to your cheeks, just do it! You do not need anyone’s permission, but if you need a bit of a push, this is it! This year celebrate the greatest relationship you will ever have, the relationship you have with yourself. It is for life.

By the way, in Finland Valentine’s Day translates to ystävänpäivä (loads of dots on top of letters there I know) which means friend’s day. Traditionally, this day has meant remembering our friends. Even school kids make cards for their friends rather than crushes. In addition to making the day all about yourself, I urge you to try out this version recommended by inhabitants of a Nordic country where showing grand emotions and gestures to prove one’s love are overrated. Honestly, if you stuck by me through the awkward teenage years, crappy boyfriends, struggles of adulting, and can still today call me your friend, you deserve all the cards and chocolate this planet holds!

Photo by Brigitte Tohm / Unsplash

Global communication, media & journalism student and professional I'm not bossy, I'm the boss Based in Helsinki, Finland
Helsinki Contributor