Cat Cafe: the New Hot Spot in Helsinki

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

This summer we finally got a cat cafe right here in Helsinki! Kissakahvila Helsinki is situated smack in the center of town, on Fredrikinkatu 55, and it has been packed ever since its opening day. The feline residents are all extremely sociable so they are enjoying their spotlight and cuddles from admiring visitors.

At present, the cafe is home to five kittens and one adult cat. They freely roam around the place, climbing walls and sleeping at the window; they might even come and ask for a lick of your food.

The cafe makes its own cakes and sandwiches, and they are delicious (the carrot and cheesecakes are a must try)! Before eating though, customers are asked to read the instructions on how to play nice with the little furballs: no lifting them up, no waking up sleeping kittens, and no causing any unnecessary stress. It’s their home and we are the guests.

You can reserve a table from the cafe on their website www.kissakahvilahelsinki.fi and the “cat care fee” is five euros.

An English philology major with a passion for reading and writing. I also like photography and wish I was better at it. If you're a fan of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Charmed or Buffy, we already have something in common.
Helsinki Contributor