Campus Cutie: Alexandra Shtromberg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Year: 5th

Major: International Business Law

Hometown: Petrozavodsk, Russia

Interests: drawing, knitting, sewing, debating, dancing, yoga, graphic design

How did you came to study in Helsinki?

My parents told me stories of their friends’ children who came to study here in such a cozy and bright city. I came to Helsinki for the first time when I was 13, I had a vague idea that I would study and live here at that time. I didn’t know what my major’s going to be, what mattered was moving to Helsinki. Finally, after 7 years, I ended up here.

I heard you’re fluent in Finnish. Is that true?

It’s up to my Finnish friends to estimate my language skills, but I’ve been studying it for 7 years. My advice to those who’s just starting it: enjoy it and never give up. Once you get relaxed, you’ll get a feeling of how to deal with this pile of grammar rules. It takes a while, but therefore it’ll be worth it!

Have you lived in any other Finnish towns?

I did my exchange in Joensuu, a small and peaceful town in Eastern Finland. It was an inspiring experience to meet people from all over the world coming to study in such a remote place. I set up a Joensuu Debate Society there, travelled to tournaments and workshops and thus made my first Finnish friends.

So you’re very into debating, aren’t you?

Yes, it has been my hobby since the start of my Bachelor’s. It’s not only about learning how to debate itself, but also about getting plenty of leadership and management experience. And, of course, you can perceive issues happening in the world from different sides.

Describe your typical day now?

I get up at 7am and read the Kauppalehti newspaper to brush up and develop my language skills. Then I wake up my lazy flatmate and run for lectures which I have a lot, believe me. After studies, there’s group working time for me and my friends in Kaisa-talo. In the afternoon I often go to the sports class and, in fact, I’ve become a yoga fan recently. It helps so much to rest your mind.

Are you feeling homesick?

No, maybe just the amazing work I had there. I used to be an international affairs coordinator at my alma mater, Petrozavodsk State University. For example, my job was to hang out with exchange students and attending conferences abroad. To fight my homesickness, my flatmate and I started Russian Film Nights, as we call it.

Wow, what is that?

We bake some cupcakes at home and watch Russian movies with English subtitles with our Russian, Finnish, Taiwanese and American friends.

What do you like most about Helsinki?

Its calm rhythm of life influenced by close connection with nature. When I get tired of studying, I just go to a park nearby, take a breath of fresh air… And I love chasing the hares in the forest on my way home.

Media and Global Communication international Master's student from Moscow
Lyra Li

Helsinki

A perpetual dreamer searching for new adventures, more crime novels to read and the determination to become a minimalist.