5 Valentine’s Day Flicks for Couples Who Don’t Like Romantic Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

The ultimate date night is around the corner, and all you want to do is to put on a movie and cuddle up with that special someone on the couch, hoping for your hands to meet in the popcorn bowl. The problem is that you or your date may not be the biggest fan of the romcom genre, but you still want to watch something suitable for the occasion. Here are a few suggestions:

Drive (2011)

Nicolas Winding Refn’s tense crime drama is a love story at its core. The nameless stuntman and getaway driver falls for his neighbour Irene, and decides to help her convict husband in a heist to protect the woman he loves and her son from local gansters. The beautiful cinematography and excellent electronic-pop score are candy for both eyes and ears.

Spring (2014)

This indie gem is a mix of body horror, romance and sci-fi. After losing his mother, a young American man travels to Italy, where he meets a flirtatious woman. A romance sparks between the two, but she might be something more than meets the eye. Not to give anything away, but the ending is what makes this a great date movie. The atmosphere will linger long after the credits have rolled.

Her (2013)

Her is a bittersweet story about a lonely man on the brink of divorce who falls in love with an artificial intelligence operating system. Spike Jonze’s unconventional and heartwarming film is a refreshing take on the Hollywood romance. It makes the audience ask themselves what is means to love somebody or what makes us human in the first place.

My Bloody Valentine (1981)

Do the previously mentioned flicks still sound too sappy for your taste? Go for a good old 80’s slasher film instead! Valentine’s festivities in the small mining town of Valentine’s Bluff are disrupted when a deranged killer goes on a rampage. This is actually the only film on the list set during Valentine’s Day. If pick-axe murderers and ripped out hearts can’t make your date crawl into your lap, nothing can. I’m talking about the uncut version, naturally.

Blue Is the Warmest Color (2013)

If the deeply-rooted heteronormativity in romantic movies is what bothers you, this French coming of age story might be right up your alley. The film follows teenager Adèle who meets Emma, a free-spirited college girl with blue hair. Emma helps Adèle to find her true self and be open about her newly discovered sexuality. This three hour drama is a very honest and sincere portrayal of relationships and the hardships of youth. Despite its melancholy tone the movie makes you feel grateful to have that special someone next to you.

Helsinki Contributor