Career > Her20s

How to Survive Moving Back in with Your Parents After College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

With your diploma in one hand and Starbs in the other, it seems like everything’s just falling into place. That is, until Mom hits you with the 11pm curfew you had when you were 16; suddenly you feel like you’re a child all over again. Both of you are going to need to make some serious adjustments for this to go smoothly; luckily, we are here to help!

Have the “Adult” Conversation

The last time you lived at home this long is when you were in high school; more likely than not, that’s how your parents still see you. As a helpless 16 year old, having wild nights with friends, downing fifths and trying to struggle through a 2 – 5 page paper.  Little do they know that not only your liver has gotten tougher, but so have you! Emotional ups and downs, living on your own, and being responsible for your mistakes at college has shaped you. When Dad tries to hit you with a curfew, fire back with the job expectation you have for yourself; no successful business woman can go to bed at 3am and wake up at 7am every time. Or even: “Mom…I’m 23. I might be out till 9, 10, 2! But that doesn’t mean I’m irresponsible.” It could be simple as that!

Understand it’s their House First

We kids need to understand we had it pretty good living at home. No real concerns, someone bought our groceries for us, and the bathroom was always clean. After four years of b*tching about roommates being messy and always moving your stuff, we just want to be back at home where no one bothers us. It may come as a shock, but you are that roommate to your parents. Constantly leaving dishes out, leaving socks on the floor, and don’t even get a parent started on the annoying friends you bring into their living room. Be understanding and patient when they ask you to stop bringing loud a** Linda around.

Discuss Realistic Expectations

What do your parents expect of you when you move back home? Do they want you out in two years? Do they want you to pay rent? Can I take my cat with me when I move out? What about your job; is working at Starbucks part time good enough or do the ‘rents expect more drive from you? Surprisingly, all of these things can add up in unsaid resentment or tension. It’s kind of like when you want your boy to bring you flowers, but he never does. Make sure the goals are clear for everyone involved; it could avoid a disaster in the future.

You’ve Gotten Older, So has Little Timmy

Having a sibling comes with a bunch of amazing perks: a built in best friend, a partner in crime, a lie detector, and so much more. It also comes with having a professional terrorist there to push your buttons whenever you least expect it. When Rachel is taking way too long in the bathroom straightening her ALREADY STRAIGHT hair, you need to try to see it from her point of view: (in her mind) your hair is not as important as her’s. That’s ok, as a mature post-grad, we can make anything work. By also being candid with your siblings (for instance, about a realistic shower time), you can avoid the stereotypical fights that are bound to come.

Just like that, you have four new tips that have prepared you for the least exciting part about graduating – being broke and living at home. Good Luck!

Lena is a student at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa. She is pursuing a Communciations degree with a focus in Digital Media, as well as dual minors in Business and English. In her free time, she loves being president of her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta, and snorkeling on the weekends!