The Salubrious Senior: Spring Produce Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

Given the wild and nasty weather we’ve been having, who knows when the warm weather will come?  One thing’s certain though, as soon as that fresh spring produce starts coming in, you better grab it while you can. When spring is finally here (and here to stay), we can start to cross our fingers for some of the most delicate, delicious, and healthy vegetables of the year. Whether you’re part of a CSA, or just drop by Trader Joe’s for snacks once in a while, make sure you find a way to get a bite.

NOTE: Thanks to modern technology, you can find these pretty much all year round. But this is the time of year where they will require the least growing assistance, processing, and transportation from other parts of the country.

Snap peas: These little pea pods are completely edible and delightfully sweet. You can add them to a healthy stir-fry, or just munch them like candy. They’re fantastic spread with a little goat cheese and topped with coarse salt.

Garlic Scapes: Garlic scapes are like tall garlic-y scallions. If you’re getting bunches in your CSA box, don’t fret! They’re surprisingly easy to cook with. Treat them like scallions or cut into 4 inch long pieces, sauté in olive oil, and toss into pasta with sweet peas and lots of pecorino for a dish that screams spring. 

Artichokes: I love artichoke dip as much as the next girl, but fresh artichokes need more special treatment. Steam them whole, and spruce up some grocery store hummus with lemon, garlic, and salt. Peel the individual leaves off one by one and dip in the hummus for a fun and healthy snack.

Radishes: To me, these beauties mean spring is really here. Ruby red or purple on the outside, with a crisp, crunchy, white center. Sliced, on warm sourdough toast with butter and salt, is one of life’s greatest simple pleasures. 

Rhubarb: Grab a bag of frozen strawberries (or fresh if you can find them this time of year) and whip up strawberry rhubarb everything: tarts, pies, custards, compote, and jam are all good places to start. The tartness of the rhubarb adds a nice bite to the sweetness of the strawberries, and the two flavors complement each other perfectly. It’s easy to see why strawberry rhubarb pie is the first summer desert to pop up on seasonal menus across the states.

Don’t be brought down by the snow and rain. Now that we have celebrated Pinwheel Day, soon the shoots will start to pop up and in a few weeks we’ll get right down to eating. Until then, start dreaming up some recipes of your own, and feel free to send suggestions to nlandiss@haverford.edu. You might be featured in an upcoming article! 

Charlotte Bax is a Junior at Haverford College and is majoring in History with double-minors in French and Film. She is originally from Santa Monica, California, but has also lived in San Francisco and currently resides in London with her family. Charlotte enjoys cooking, watching movies, going to sports games in Philadelphia. In addition, she enjoys traveling, surfing with her dog Cassie, and skiing during the winter in Solitude, Utah. After college, Charlotte hopes to start her own line of women's sports apparel.