“The Salubrious Senior”: Great Granola Recipes!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

I know many of you are big fans of the breakfast options at the dining center, but I personally prefer a more wholesome meal in the morning. Granola is the perfect answer, and crazy customizable. Toasted sweet oats studded with morsels of nuts, fruit, or chocolate are great with milk, over yogurt, or sprinkled on top of a smoothie and make a healthier (and tastier) alternative to DC pancakes. I made this version over break and brought a few jars back with me. It will last in a sealed container and a cool dry place for a month or two. 

Don’t live in the apartments or Kitten dorms? Make friends and organize a granola party! You can make large amounts of the simple base, and have different stations for add-ins. Just remember not to include dried fruit or chocolate with the granola during the baking process. 

Simple Granola Base-makes around 3 ½ cups

3 cups oats (can be instant or quick)

¼ cup canola oil

¼ cup brown sugar

¼ cup maple syrup or honey

½ teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 350F and line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.

Pour oats into a large bowl.  In a separate, small bowl, mix the remaining ingredients until combined into a thin paste.  Pour over oats and mix until all the oats are covered.  If this looks a little dry, pour in a bit of water or milk to moisten.

Bake for 20-30 minutes, stirring the granola every 10 minutes.  When the granola is golden brown and fragrant, it’s finished. Let it cool completely before storing.

Chocolate Cranberry Pistachio Granola

Simple granola base

Roasted pistachios (salted or unsalted)

Dried cranberries

¼ cup cocoa powder

1 cup mixed chopped chocolate (I used a mix of semisweet chips, unsweetened baking chocolate, and salted toffee but feel free to customize any way you like! Chocolate covered raisins, almonds, or espresso beans would all be fantastic.

Make the simple granola base by following recipe above, adding the cocoa powder into the liquid ingredients. Fold the pistachios into the oat mixture before baking.

When the granola is done and slightly cooled, add in the cranberries and chocolate, which will melt slightly and create larger chunks of granola.  Enjoy! 

Sources:

http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2012/12/04/triple-chocolate-crunch-granola/

Charlotte Bax is a Junior at Haverford College and is majoring in History with double-minors in French and Film. She is originally from Santa Monica, California, but has also lived in San Francisco and currently resides in London with her family. Charlotte enjoys cooking, watching movies, going to sports games in Philadelphia. In addition, she enjoys traveling, surfing with her dog Cassie, and skiing during the winter in Solitude, Utah. After college, Charlotte hopes to start her own line of women's sports apparel.