neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

You’ve Got Male: Advice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

*Kicks down the door* Hi! We’re back!

We know that you’ve been waiting to hear the answers to the questions you sent in. With that weird thing that happened over break with that friend who you kinda know but not that well; getting back from winter break and the strange guy that reached out after datamatch; and the thing that happened over spring break that probably shouldn’t have…. — you must have so many questions, but this week we’re not going to answer a single one of them!

We wanted to take this week to be a little more serious than usual (well, eh, kinda :)) and tell all of our readers something:

Don’t take our advice.

Or anyone’s for that matter. Seriously.

So, let’s backpedal for a second, what do we mean? Does that mean you shouldn’t take our advice? Basically. How about that person you had a meaningful conversation with on the shuttle, should you not take their advice too? Yup. What about…? Also yes.

Well, we’re not saying to ignore their advice, but definitely don’t blindly take their advice and just do something because they told you too. A lot of people we talk to seem to think there is a ‘correct’ answer to relationships and dating. And truth is there isn’t (and if there is please send it to us!). One person’s advice is great to one person and terrible to the next. And at the end of the day, the person that’s going to live with the decisions is you.

No one has ‘love’ or ‘relationships’ figured out. Well, maybe that one friend who’s been with the same person for like 5 years, and they’re basically married and … wait, no. No one has it all figured out. (Especially not us.)

So why do we do this? Well, we definitely don’t have it figured out either. Like if you think your batting average is low, we’re not even playing baseball. We’re not even playing a sport. We’re standing in the back of the field with a guitar and wondering why everyone’s looking so funny at us.

The serious part is: we’re doing this because we hope that us talking about it gets everyone else to talk about it too. And while just doing what other people say is a bad idea, listening to them and talking about it can’t hurt.

* * *

Please send us questions at harvard@hercampus.com with the subject “For You’ve Got Male” or submit to our anonymous question form http://goo.gl/forms/Uox9OH39km.

If you’re a guy interested in writing for HerCampus, please let us know too!

Tomas Reimers

Harvard '17

Student at Harvard College.
harvard contributor