Six Tips to your Best Semester Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

Welcome back to campus!!!  After the crazy adventures and calm afternoons of summer, springing (or falling) back into action isn’t always easy.  Here are a couple quick tips to make transitioning to fall something worth anticipating.

1. Have real conversations.  People can tell the difference between when you’re asking about their summer because the culture says you should versus when you actually care.  Make it a point to care.
  2. Shop a class that you never thought about taking.  Every fall, my very favorite class ends up being the one I grudgingly shopped with my roommate or the one I took because I was strapped for classes and it had a high Q score.  We know you need to get your requirements done but college is the time for exploring, after all.
  3. Spice up your wardrobe.  One new piece goes a long way and remember that “new” could just mean new to you.  It sounds superficial to say that exterior alteration should have any effect on your inner confidence or your attitude but don’t knock it ‘til you’ve tried it.
  4. Get your room in order before your life gets disordered.  Let me be honest with you, no one is going to be worrying about hanging posters during midterms.  When your haven away from the day-to-day is put together the way you want, it makes coming back to it every night so much better and calmer.
  5. Take a class outside Harvard at least once.  Go to a yoga studio on Mass Ave, pop into an open weekly dance class at the dance center up by the quad.  Do something that will clear your head, get you out of the bubble, and center you before going back to the chaos
  6. Take chances.  On people, on friends, on roommates, on activities, on your college experience.  The fact of the matter is that each semester builds to four full years and the attitude you begin with will set the tone for the entirety of the four months to come.
Amanda is a member of the class of 2014 at Harvard from Connecticut, pursuing a degree in English with a secondary in Government and a citation in Spanish. When she is not planning her next trip, she can be found hidden in the back of a coffee shop working on her novel. Amanda is passionate about singing, theater, travel, and her family and is so excited to be working with Her Campus!