Reaching New Brights: Neon Fashion Trend Alert!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

Put away the drab browns and the dull greens, ladies! Gone are the dark days of winter- spring has arrived! Brighten up your day with the latest trend: Neon Brights! Usher in the new season with the newest runway trend, seen on the catwalks of Milan, the Big Apple, and (of course) the Yard!

Not Your Mama’s Neon: This season, neon is in!  The fashion scene is bursting with outrageous fuchsias, limes, turquoises, and purples. Brands from Sephora to Revlon have adopted this trend in their lines, so why can’t you? Whether you’re afraid of looking like this or aren’t sure of how to adopt this trend into your wardrobe, here are a couple of tips for rocking this trend without going overboard:

• Accessorize! Bracelets, hair ties, scarfs, and earrings are the perfect way to introduce neon into your wardrobe! Remember, simplicity is key, so stick to one neon accessory at a time. 
  • Bags! A bright neon bag (or backpack) is a great, functional way to wear the trend! A statement bag will make a simple outfit pop. Whether a clutch or a carry-all, this is a gift that will last for many seasons!
  • Shoes! There’s nothing like a bright shoe to complete an outfit, so take it to the next level!  Paired with a neutral outfit, simple flats or sexy heels are a brilliant way to display your fashion prowess!
  • Make-up! If you’re like me, you shudder at the idea of looking like an 80’s fashion disaster.  Blue lips, electric green eye shadow, and florescent pink do not a refined look create. Don’t shy away from bright colors, though!  A bright eyeliner on a fresh face is both simple and refreshing.  A matte fuchsia on the lips is a modern take on the classic red lip. As a word of caution: when using bright colors, only one of your features should be in the spotlight. Whether it be bright cheeks paired with glossy eyes and a nude lip, electric blue mascara with demure lips and cheeks, or bold lips with a fresh face, don’t be afraid to experiment and explore! 
  • Neon Nails! I don’t know about you all, but I can’t help but feel giddy when my nails look great. I am all about the nails and am constantly on the lookout for great new nail trends.  Neon nails are such a great way to incorporate neon colors into your life! It’s hard to stop once you’ve begun.

However you do it, remember to always rock your look confidently! A girl could wear an outfit straight out of the magazine and still not look as amazing as the girl blasting confidence out of her persona. When you feel good inside, it radiates outside. Remember, you’re beautiful, Doll!

Megan Prasad is a freshman at Harvard University. She is unsure of what she will be concentrating in but is trying to figure it out! She is from Edmond, Oklahoma, and is excited to be a part of the Her Campus team. In her free time, Prasad enjoys reading Harry Potter, watching How I Met Your Mother, and dancing to Beyonce.