The Problem with Incentivizing Kindness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

Back in 2005, when I was in fifth grade, I was the treasurer of my elementary school’s student council.

Also in 2005: the devastating Hurricane Katrina that destroyed homes and lives in the American South.

My school was planning a fundraiser of sorts to provide aid for those affected by the storm, and as the almighty treasurer, I was in charge—with the guidance and help of teachers and the principal, of course.

I remember my teacher asking for ideas on how to run the fundraiser and encourage donations. I eagerly suggested we give a lollipop to every student that donated a dollar. My teacher chastised this idea, admonishing that students should give for the sake of giving—not for the promise of a lollipop. I was extremely confused and slightly offended—shouldn’t the end justify the means? Why should it matter how we get the money, as long as we get it?

But nine years later, with the advent of the Happiness Challenge, I am beginning to understand my teacher’s point.

The Happiness Challenge is an eight-week long program that gives participants a goal every Sunday for the week to increase their happiness; if the students check in on their progress on Saturday, they are eligible for prizes.

It is an intriguing and positive idea on the surface; however, its methods should be questioned. The weekly goals—doing something kind for a person every day, making time for friends three times from Sunday to Saturday—remind me of my ill-fated fundraising idea.

We as human beings and members of society should be gracious and positive simply because it is the right thing to do. We should make time to say hi to our friends and spend time with those we love because we want to, not because ice-skating tickets and free massages are being dangled in front of our faces. The incentivizing of kindness troubles me, because it implies that without the promise of prizes, we would be unable to provide ourselves with the intrinsic goals of good will that should be driving our actions every single day.

So, I will watch on inquisitively and with some concern as the Happiness Challenge heads into its third week. Who knows, maybe I will participate—I could really use a shoulder rub.