Packing the Perfect Beach Bag

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

Hitting the beach this summer? Here’s how to pack the perfect beach bag.

Take with you:

Tons of Sunscreen: The importance of some good ol’ fashioned SPF can’t be overstated! You’ll be protected from skin cancer and painful, peeling sunburns. Luckily these days there are tons of waterproof sunscreens perfect for resistance against sweat and ocean. Make sure to pack a spray-on bottle for when you’re feeling lazy and a oil-free sunscreen for your face. Make sure to bring along lip balm as well!

A Hat: If sunscreen is your best friend, a hat is your next best. This one from Urban Outfitters is really cute, as is this one from Forever 21.

Leave in conditioner: After a long day of saltwater in your hair, the wind whipping your locks around, and little access to mirrors, you’ll be really grateful to have some leave in conditioner handy for quick use.

A book: At some point in the day you’ll just want to curl up on the sand with a book. You’ve earned it! Find a book you’ve been neglecting to read all school year and a plastic bag to store it in while you’re not reading.

An inflatable beach ball: When it’s deflated, it takes up practically no space and your friends will love you for it!

A million hair ties: You can never really have enough.

Leave behind:

Kindles and iPads: Reading off an electronic screen in bright sunlight is a nightmare.

Really nice sunglasses. Don’t risk sacrificing your favorite pair to a huge wave!

A fluffy towel. A thinner towel will take up less space in your bag and dry more quickly.

Whether you’re an ocean junkie, a laying-in-the-sand type of girl, or simply trying to recreate the fun of going to the beach while poolside at home, these tips will serve you well. 

Product Management Intern at Her Campus