An Open Letter to My Harvard Acceptance Letter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

Dear Harvard Acceptance Letter,

I would first like to thank you for changing my life. Thank you for confirming that I am a smart, bright, creative individual; no matter how many writing or science research awards I won, I was never convinced that I was truly smart.  The college admissions process was a whirlwind ride of emotions of hopelessness, sadness, nervousness, and excitement. I lost track of myself in the frenzy of applications, exhausted from selling myself to admissions counselors and convincing them that I was as good as my résumé. Thank you, acceptance letter, for validating my worth.

When I was six, I visited Harvard with my mom and told her, “I’m going to go here one day.” As a six year old, it was understandable that I aspired to be Elle Woods, but then life happened and suddenly it seemed that Harvard was out of my reach. Thank you for making my childhood dreams come true. But I wish that when I had sat down to open my email that day, that I could have reminded myself of the sentiment I’d believed for years: that Harvard is just another college. After nearly completing my freshman year here, I’m more confident than ever that Harvard is just another college. There are amazing aspects of Harvard, and mediocre parts. As I waited to hear from you, I wish that you had told me that the food wasn’t great, the housing was on the okay side, and that I would frequently be stuck in tourist traffic jams. I wish you had told me that within the first month of college I would experience failure, as I never had before. I had to work to find myself here; I had to reevaluate my expectations of college life and my idealistic views of Harvard. I thought that getting into Harvard would mean that everything would fall into place naturally.

I simply wish that someone had sat me down and told me that Harvard is not a perfect place. Though I have found immense happiness here, I have also frequently looked back and wished that I had considered other schools. My practical side was convinced that it would be ridiculous for me to say no to Harvard. Looking back, it would have been a good idea to realistically weigh my options and rationally decide what school would have been the best match for me.

To those hearing back from Harvard today, understand that Harvard is a name brand. Think of it this way: when one goes into the drugstore to buy shampoo, one rarely buys the drugstore brand; one gravitates towards Pantene or Dove. In the college process, it’s understandable to assume that Harvard is the best brand. It is the oldest and it’s the most established, yet sometimes I come home from the drugstore with name brand shampoo, and it’s not all that great. The packaging is pretty and it assures me that I’ll have silky smooth hair, yet I still end up with my same old frizzy locks. There’s no way to know the best brand for you until you experiment with the lesser-known brands. You may even find the less popular shampoo to be better than the name brand.

Nevertheless, I do believe that if I had to go back and do it over, I would still choose Harvard every time. I would choose the Harvard that I have created for myself. I would choose my life here with my amazing friends, incredible courses, fun extracurricular activities, and endless opportunities. I would choose the Harvard that has become my home, not the artificial Harvard brand in the brochures. These next three years will probably be the most exciting and stimulating time in my life, but they could have been amazing anywhere. Any college can be home; any college experience can be like mine. Knowledge can occur anywhere.

I played tetris while waiting to hear from you; it was the only thing that could calm my nerves. I waited, and waited for you to show up, and finally you did. “Congratulations” was probably the best word I’d ever heard. I will be forever grateful that you miraculously popped up in my inbox that day, but you were not a validation of my worth. An acceptance letter, no matter where from, could never sum up my personal achievements, intelligence, or heart.

Good luck to all those hearing back today, and remember that any college can be home. Attending Harvard is a once in a lifetime experience, and if accepted be extremely proud of yourself, you deserve it. If you choose Harvard as your home for the next four years, choose carefully, as all should rationally weigh the pros and cons of any college. If rejected, understand that the name brand is not always the best match, that a lesser-known brand may make your hair as luscious and perfect as the models in the commercials.

Acceptance letter, you’ve done amazing things for me, but now it is time for you to do the same for the class of 2018. To the applicants of the Class of 2018: getting into any college is a matter of luck, so take your acceptance to Harvard as a serendipitous gift, and a rejection as a closed door leading to an open one.