Madison Greer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

First, the basics. Tell us a little about yourself — where are you from, what do you study, and what do you enjoy doing in your free time?

I am an English concentrator, and I have a secondary in music. My hometown is Dallas so I’m definitely a big city girl! What Harvard student has free time? When I’m not cranking out a paper, I spend my time holed up in a my dark dorm room writing music on my Midi keyboard . . . which I am obsessed with. I call it my baby. 

What are some of the extracurricular activities you are involved with on campus?

Every year I have been a part of Eleganza, and I absolutely LOVE it!! When I was little my dream was to be a model . . . but then I didn’t grow past 5’6″. Haha, fail. In Eleganza I get to be a part of that world. Plus . . . who doesn’t want to wear hot clothes and dance like crazy? It’s literally a party on stage! I also like that it is opportunity for Harvard students to let loose and be sexy. I know most people hear “Harvard” and think uptight nerdy students, but we can totally work. It. Out!

What are your plans for J-Term?

I will spending my J-term back home in Dallas working on putting together my demo for my new music! Yay! I am currently working with music producers, and I will be writing to their tracks and recording them. SO excited to get back into my studio at home!! Plus, not gonna lie . . . I am probably going to spend a significant amount of time killing zombies with my little bro on Black Ops 2.

What would be your dream job after graduation?

Immediately after graduation, I’m planning on working in A&R at one of the music companies at which I have interned in LA. At the same time, I will continue to collaborate with different music producers, give concerts around the LA area, and finish my demo so I can begin presenting my materials to the major labels!

How did you become interested in writing music?

I actually started composing during my sophomore year in high school because I originally wanted to score for film. I have always been inspired by how epic and moving movie music can be, and I think it’s so cool how composers give musically define what an image looks like!! I first started out by composing little themes on the piano then I gradually took those themes and began to experiment with incorporating them into the pop music genre. Film and pop are my two favorite musical genres, and when I write, I try to incorporate them into each other for my own unique sound. 

Where do you hope to be in ten years?

I always tell people that my dream is to become the next Michael Jackson . . . and I’m totally serious! Music, dance, and performance is SO much of who I am, and I cannot see myself doing anything but entertainment! In ten years I hope to be performing and writing music (for myself and other artists) full-time. In the future, I also want to start my own music publishing company to manage the usage of my own and other artists’ music.

What and who inspires you?

Truly, my parents inspire me the most. Not only are they both musically gifted and artists in their own right, but they are also the most encouraging people . . . ever. When I told my parents that I wanted to be a pop star, my mom just smiled and said, “well, SOMEONE has to be the next one — why not you?” When I put up my fan page on Facebook, my dad then proceeded to re-post all of my music, pictures, and videos on his own wall so that his friends would like my page and follow my music. My parents are literally the best. Also…they inspire me by their dedication to their faith. They have taught me to hold on to God through every situation, and it is this spiritual foundation that has gotten me through all of my trials and has gained me all of my victories. I am so thankful to my parents for teaching me that gift of faith. 

Favorite song?

SO many to choose from!!! My favorite song literally changes once a week! Right now I would have to say that my go-to jam is Justin Timberlake’s “Cry Me a River.” Pretty old school pop but definitely a classic hit. Such an intricate track and such emotional lyrics! Major props to Timbaland for being a bomb producer, as always. Timbaland and Timberlake is hands down my favorite collaboration combo.

What was your best moment performing?

My favorite moment performing was on Good Morning Texas with my father. I was asked to sing on the show, and I had asked my dad to come on the stage with me to play keyboard while I sang live. My dad and I had been practicing during the week and were ready when the time came. However, exactly one minute before the show aired live, one of the sound engineers knocked over the keyboard and broke it’s sound box! My dad and I had to, on the spot, come up with a completely different song idea, and when the cameras came on a minute later, we did a completely impromptu a capella duet of “Summertime,” harmonies and all!! We had to be so in touch with what the other was feeling musically on the spot! It was SO fun and such a rush!!

Look out for Madison and all of her incredible new music, and like her on Facebook!

Amanda is a member of the class of 2014 at Harvard from Connecticut, pursuing a degree in English with a secondary in Government and a citation in Spanish. When she is not planning her next trip, she can be found hidden in the back of a coffee shop working on her novel. Amanda is passionate about singing, theater, travel, and her family and is so excited to be working with Her Campus!