Guide to Rushing Sororities at Harvard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

Whether you’re a legacy in Kappa Kappa Theta, or your roommates convinced you to squeeze rushing in between pset sessions, you somehow find yourself considering rushing along with all the other hopeful pledges. Lucky for you, I just embarked through the entire process and can give you my take on the trials and tribulations of [potentially] joining a sorority.

Warning 1: Not everyone becomes a sorority girl.

We were all told, as we prepared to rush for a bid, that no one would be cut. What a relief. No need to be stressed during the rounds because if you mess up, you’re still bound to find a place.

…Or so I thought, until a few friends told me they were not invited to participate in the next round. I was honestly surprised, and I know I would have been ten times as nervous had I been aware that my first round could also be my last.

Warning 2: Choosing which sorority to join is really hard.

The process is arbitrary. Your first impression of a certain sorority, unless you happen to be friends with members of said sorority, boils down to the 3-5 girls you happen to talk to in the span of half an hour.

There’s also no time for deliberation. As soon as you’ve ended the last conversation of your last round, you’re immediately whisked off to fill out a preference form. No talking, no looking at your phone—nothing that could allow you to process the last couple of hours to make a more informed decision.

Warning 3: It’s exhausting.

I talk nonstop on a daily basis, so I didn’t expect to be so tired from simply talking. Yet, when we emerged from the first round, I could definitely see fatigue hidden behind many girls’ bright eyes. Having to act cheerful and bubbly, smile for hours on end, and sustain conversations with unfamiliar girls while grasping at any thread to keep the conversation flowing is much harder than you think.

There will be awkward pauses, even for girls who can hold conversations with strangers about the most mundane topics. It’s like you’ve returned to freshman fall, where you’re obliged to tell everyone your name, dorm, and intended concentration. You get tired. Especially when your group is there for six hours. Without lunch or dinner.

Warning 4: The cost.

Hey, someone has to mention it. $800 per semester is no chump change. There are scholarships, so definitely take advantage of them, but still…

…………………………………….

If you have indomitable spirit, and these small (or not-so-small) concerns do not faze you, fill out the application and go through the rushing process. For all the awkward conversations, there are many more enjoyable conversations and intriguing people you can meet, many of which may share common interests with you. You get to watch cute videos of the sorority sisters blowing glitter, and as you progress in the rounds, you get to wear fancier outfits and receive a complimentary tote for ‘surviving’ until the end.

You may find a group that resonates with you, provides you with a sense of belonging in the tumultuous sea that is Harvard, and establishes a lifelong network of supportive sisters who have forged paths you will take in the future. These girls reach out immediately to welcome you to the sisterhood, from hordes of Facebook friend requests to Ivy linking so you can get to meet and interact with upperclassmen.

If you do rush, heed the guide. I wish you the best of luck!

Kelly is a Freshman in Matthews. She loves environmental justice, Chai tea, and dystopian fiction, though Harry Potter makes the top of her list.
harvard contributor