The Guide to Planning YOUR Ideal Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

So, it’s nearing April and you’re still not entirely certain what your summer plans are. We know the feeling, and it’s not always a fun one. Take a deep breath and remember that there is still plenty of time to pull together a great summer. What’s most important at this point is to keep in mind that what’s right for your friends and classmates isn’t always what’s right for you–so find out exactly what you’re looking for, and then take initiative and make it happen!

The Her Campus – Harvard Guide to Planning YOUR Ideal Summer!

A) First things first — location, location, location. There are three major options: home, another city, or another country. Ask yourself a few questions, starting with simply: how are you feeling right now? What do you need to feel your best this summer and make you the most confident student and person going forward? If the thought of being abroad is so exciting to you that no single opportunity can budge your resolve, that’s your endgame, and you’ll want to check out study abroad programs and international internship opportunities. If you’re not entirely excited by the prospect of being out of the country, but don’t exactly want to return home for the summer, there are, of course, many other cities to consider — from staying in Cambridge or Boston to branching out to a state you’ve never been to before, so get excited about delving into all the options! If you’ve faced a bit of burnout (we also know that feeling!) or miss your family and old friends, you could probably benefit from the comforts of home right about now; being able to relax, catch up with those who have known you for years, enjoy some home-cooked meals, and explore the opportunities your hometown and nearby cities have to offer is a worthwhile option to consider, too. Think it over and go with your gut: if you feel that you want to be abroad this summer, head on to section B. If you’re looking for domestic options outside your hometown, skip down to section C. And if you’re looking to be home, move on ahead to section D.

B) So, you want to go abroad. Awesome! Now, most Harvard programs are no longer accepting applications, nor will you be able to get funding from the majority of Harvard sources, but let’s keep a positive outlook here. What you’ll want to be doing abroad is the most important thing to figure out before going forward. Study abroad experiences typically give you the benefit of a structured program and college-credit courses combined with plenty of free time to explore on your own and with new friends. If that’s what you’re looking for, start checking out international programs at other universities. If you don’t know where to begin, ask friends from home what sorts of options their colleges offer, or even start by going through the other schools you applied to back in the day. You can also check out independent study abroad programs run through independent study abroad organizations like ISA, Global Student Experience, or CIEE. If you’re looking more to make money and get an immersion experience, but without having to take classes, you’ll want to look into work or internship opportunities. Be direct and take initiative in your search: look into international organizations that have branches in the country you’re hoping to work in, especially if you don’t feel comfortably proficient with the language of that region. If you do have advanced language skills, reach out directly to directors and managers in a company you find interesting — regardless of if they’ve posted any internship opportunities, tell them who you are and what you could offer to them, especially from an international perspective. Also, be sure to make a Crimson Compass account and reach out to Harvard alums in the area or at that specific organization. And if you’d like to spend your summer abroad giving back, community service opportunities abound! Depending on what type of volunteering you’re interested in doing, you can look into Habitat for Humanity, United Planet, or ProjectsAbroad to get you started, though a simple Google search will work suprising wonders, especially for this option!

C) So, where do you want to be? If you’re looking to stay in Cambridge, stay tuned to your House email list about on-campus opportunities for work and housing, or drop by OCS and talk to a counselor about what Harvard sources you can check out for more information. Outside of the Harvard bubble, be creative! If you know someone who lives in the city you’d love to be in this summer, reach out to him or her and get some feedback on the best options and how to go about your search (and if you don’t know anyone directly, ask around! Trust us, you can find someone here who will know something about wherever you’d like to be). Basic internet searches like “law firms in San Diego” or “nonprofits in Chicago” can be a starting point, but if you feel overwhelmed by the results, try looking at local chambers of commerce for a more consolidated list. Focuzing on smaller companies where you could work directly with the supervisers you’ll be contacting could be an approach to consider at this stage of the game. Make use of LinkedIn, especially by joining groups for your field of interest — many have career listings within them — and sites like Internships.com and InternMatch can be valuable resources as well. For nonprofit internships and opportunities, Idealist.org has a substantial database, and as far as housing is concerned, first stops are local universities and CraigsList.

D) Ah, the comforts of home! You’re sure to have a relaxing and rewarding summer, but if you want to fill up your days, there are many options for that, too. Return to an old summer job from your high school years, help out at local stores, camps, or businesses where you have contacts, reach out to Harvard alums from your area to see if they’re seeking interns, or volunteer your time with nearby foundations and charitable organizations. If you’re in touch with old high school teachers, they could be a great source of information on locally-based companies, as are family members. Check out the links listed in section C to get started on your search, and keep in mind that even if an organization you’d be interested in working for doesn’t have any listings for internship opportunities, they may be happy to take on a summer intern — don’t be afraid to inquire, and be sure to present a confident case on what you could offer them based on your specific interests and skill set. We’re sure they’d love to have you on their team! (And hey, don’t rule out some travel to visit your friends pursuing options in other cities and states, especially if you’ll be making some good money this summer!)

One last note: if you want your summer to be on the less packed side of the spectrum (admit it, we salute you–and we feel that way, too!), trust that feeling. If you’re looking forward to the grind of a job or internship and to all the experiences you’ll gain through your position, trust that, too! Figure out the balance that’s right for you . . . and if you can keep that balance into next school year, all the more power to you! As this week’s HC – Harvard advice column will tell you, there are plenty of opportunities to make your summer worthwhile, and we have no doubts you’ll find the right one for you! Good luck!

Michelle is a senior at Harvard College hailing from Long Island, New York. She is pursuing a degree in Comparative Literature with a minor in English and special focus fields in sleep deprivation and procrastination. At any given moment, you are most likely to find her racking up points on her Starbucks Gold Card, writing by the Charles River, or stalking Boo's latest photo shoot. Michelle couldn't be more excited to be part of the Her Campus team and bring HC to life on Harvard's campus, and she would love to hear from you with any feedback!