Getting Ready for Harvard Yale

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

Ladies of Harvard College—the day is here. The day where we shed our stuck-up, prissy Ivy League personas to don the much more fun and rowdy guise of the football-obsessed, party school student. The day where we pretend to understand sports and try not to cheer for the wrong team. The day to take photos that will cover #tbt, #fbf, #selfiesunday, and #wcw for the next 52 weeks. My friends, Harvard-Yale has arrived. Below is a checklist to make sure you are prepared for the Game this weekend.

1.       Dig every crimson/Harvard article of clothing out of your closet

It’s one of the only times you can actually be PROUD of attending Harvard without coming across as completely arrogant and pretentious.

(usual reaction to Harvard pride)

So, put on that H hat, wear that #wescoremore long-sleeved T from the Harvard dance team, and get crazy about that Crimson. Bonus is to learn the Harvard fight song and annoyingly sing it at inappropriate times to completely aggravate people. FUN!

2.       Make a square table betting system with friends

Is it really a football game if you don’t place a few bets on the outcome?  Grab a few friends and put a few dollars on the final score of the Game to keep you at least a little engaged. Maybe it will even encourage you to attend the game a little bit…?

Yeah, probably not. BUT you could be makin’ it rain.

Aw, yeah.

3.       Look up the weather for this weekend, and cry

The current forecast for Saturday is a high of 42, low of 35. Moment of silence/tears.

Okay, pulling myself together. Yes, it will be almost freezing, which is depressing. BUT we can make it! It’s just time to dig up the fuzzy sweaters and clunky jackets (preferably crimson-colored).

4.       Go to the Harvard pre-game events

Every day this week from 11-2, there will be fun giveaways and picture ops in front of the Science Center. Free stuff? Harvard pride? What could be better, guys? Here’s the schedule for lots of the events being thrown by Harvard over the next few days.

5.       Use #GetHYped on social media

If you look at the above schedule, you might notice that the College Events Board is giving away tons of Harvard paraphernalia if you post Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pictures with the hashtag #GetHYped. Now’s the time to make use of your superb social media skill to win some fantastic swag.

6.       Have a buddy!

And finally, on a much more serious note, please please please find at least one gal or guy that you can buddy-up with for the day. Even though the game is on Harvard’s campus and it’s easy to feel comfortable losing some inhibitions when you’re at “home,” we still live in the middle of a busy suburb/city and things can get dangerous. I strongly plead with and urge you to establish a network in which you will look out for one another and periodically check in throughout the day. We want to have fun, but we’ve gotta be safe! Plus, this is a fabulous bonding technique

S’cute.

And with those few tips, ladies, you are completely set to safely and fully enjoy Harvard-Yale weekend to the fullest. GO HARVARD!

--
harvard contributor