BE YOURS During the Season of Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

When trying to write a blog post about self-love, I came to the conclusion that I cannot tell you how to love yourself or why it’s important.  I can tell you why you should, but even that might not mean much coming from me.  I can tell you why I did, how I learned to, but that’s my story.  It’s complicated and it’s personal and won’t have the same effect.   Unfortunately, self-love is one of those things that we often need to learn the hard way.

So instead of boring you with heartbreaks and precious moments or writing a demanding, empowering blog post, I am going to share a letter that I wrote for my future daughter in an exercise for an organization I’m in on campus.  The organization is dedicated to female empowerment and the mission of this letter was to tell ourselves the most precious words of strength, the ones meant for our future daughters.

This month, our Valentine’s Day, or should I say, Gal’entine’s Day campaign is about Being Yours.  Love yourself the way you would want your daughter, your mom, your best friend to love herself.  Listen to the quote “we accept the love we think we deserve” and we hope that this month, you realize how very much love you deserve every day.

Dear daughter,

I hope, more than anything, that when you look in the mirror you see someone beautiful every time.

I hope you don’t rely on other people to make you happy, that you live life to its complete capacity.

I hope you realize that there isn’t anything in this world that you cannot do with a smile and a positive attitude.

I hope you find the peace and the courage to forgive all those who will do you wrong, in your own time, because we are all human and we all make mistakes.  The hardest apologies to forgive are the ones that remain unsaid. 

I hope that you never have your heart broken but when you do, I hope you find the inner strength to pick up the pieces with poise and walk away with your head held high.

I hope you believe in what a special person you are going to be, that you can make a difference, and that you are someone worth loving.  When people tear you down, fight back with the ones that lift you up.  When it rains, it pours but please don’t wait out the storm.  Learn to dance in the rain.

I hope you feel every single day on the tips of your fingers because the only thing worse than feeling sad is feeling nothing at all.

And more than anything, I hope you learn to love yourself half as much as I already love you.  You are smart and you are beautiful.  You are worthy of all the love in the world.

Love Always,

Me

Amanda is a member of the class of 2014 at Harvard from Connecticut, pursuing a degree in English with a secondary in Government and a citation in Spanish. When she is not planning her next trip, she can be found hidden in the back of a coffee shop working on her novel. Amanda is passionate about singing, theater, travel, and her family and is so excited to be working with Her Campus!