This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Hey sis,

I know there has been an epidemic started where females feel the need to approach, DM, text, call other women to “warn them” about the dude they’re cuffed by, dealing with, or have feelings for. I’m going to tell you why you shouldn’t be coming to me or anyone else as a woman in 2017, listen up.

First… it’s corny and embarrassing for you to even take the time to try and explain your position in a man’s life who doesn’t even respect you enough to deal with you and only you is bogus. It’s embarrassing because you’re a grown woman trying to convince someone that their man wants you or tried to pursue you with the often term called “receipts” better known as screenshots. It doesn’t even validate your role in his life, if anything it makes you look desperate. Your response shouldn’t be, “But I got screenshots,” I wouldn’t even want a man who I have to constantly screenshot for proof when I get approached.

Second, if your intentions are to just purely inform the female and not embarrass her or try to “check her,” you have to approach it different. Don’t text her or call her about what you think the dude she’s dealing with is doing with you if you’re still going to talk to him and pursue him afterwards. If you are going to come to her as a woman, be woman and boss up and do better, the both of you still shouldn’t be messing with the dude after the confrontation because then it  just gets messy, and there was no point in confronting her if you were going to stay.

Lastly, we are all sisters – maybe not by blood BUT we are still sisters. There shouldn’t be anything in this world that would make you want to embarrass or hurt your sister because a man can’t keep up with his lies. Before checking the other woman, make sure the dude you’re dealing with has no inconsistencies in his story, make sure you approach the female with respect.

I know as women some of our intentions are to simply just warn the other woman, and to try and eliminate any drama. But there are some women who know about you, see the pictures on the gram and in the house and still will try and pull up on your dude because they just don’t care and have no regard for your feelings. Those are the type of women you stay away from, nothing good will come out confronting them because they don’t care. Ultimately the conversation should be between you and your partner; if your man loved you the way he said he did you wouldn’t even have to reach out to ANYBODY to even “warn or ask” them ANYTHING.

If he loved you he wouldn’t embarrass you, he wouldn’t put you in a position where you would have to come out of character and act ignorant. What’s done in the dark ALWAYS comes to the light. God will reveal what you need to know, I have made the mistake before thinking I’m getting closure or I’m doing a good deed, but NO sis what’s for you to know will always be for you, you won’t have to settle, lower your standards nor swallow your pride, what doesn’t come out in the wash comes out in the rinse.

Her Campus Contributor Account