5 Reasons Why Every Black Girl Should Be Watching Insecure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

HBO’s Insecure has ignited passion and has gotten praise in the African American community. Modern-day black women might be described as strong and confident, Molly and Issa are just the opposite. As the best friends deal with their own real-life flaws, their insecurities come to the fore as together they cope with an endless series of uncomfortable everyday experiences.

1. They support black owned businesses. Every episode you will see specific product placement of black owned businesses, or just things that relate to African American culture.

1. You will laugh every episode, because of the jokes on black culture, and there are diverse looks on what blackness look like. Insecure recognizes the differences between black people, white people and everything in between, as opposed to what the media usually shows black people as which is normally “boujie” or “ghetto”.

1. They support black music and up and coming artist throughout the entire show.

1. They effortlessly weave in issues in every episode and trigger dialogue about racism in the work place, passive aggressiveness, insecurities, black men having to be hyper masculine, and infidelity.

1. You are able to relate not to just the main character Issa but to everyone of the characters, because every character is dynamic.

Her Campus Contributor Account