(Not Awful) April Fool’s Pranks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

April 1. April Fool’s day. A holiday a small population gets really into, while most of us loathe with a passion. The problem is, a lot of these “jokes” are mean or plain dumb. Every now and then, though, someone or some company manages to figure out a way to have some good, innocent fun. Here are the April Fool’s pranks from Apr. 1, 2018 that didn’t suck. 

Wakanda and… Texas?:

The city of San Antonio, Texas announced via Twitter that they’re celebrating their new sister city relationship with the mighty country of Wakanda. Apparently, they’re excited for the new technological uses of Wakanda’s “vibranium.” I’m sure T’challa had a good laugh at that. 

What’s New Pussycat:

Inspired by the all-too-amazing John Mulaney (please look him up on Netflix if you haven’t already) and his infamous Salt and Pepper Diner bit, one high schooler at Clarke Central High School managed to play “What’s New Pussycat” 22 times over the school’s intercom system before school officials were able to shut it down. Even John Mulaney had to respond, “Bravo.” 

Amazon Prime authors:

Ordering a book by your favorite author via Amazon? Wish you could meet the author in real life? Well, on Apr. 1, Amazon announced a new program that will send your favorite authors to your front door. BRB, I gotta go order the new Rick Riordan book. 

Extreme Where’s Waldo:

This year, you could find more than just your destination on Google Maps. Google turned their program into a giant Where’s Waldo game! If you find a Waldo on your maps, you could click it and it would take you to an online picture of a page from one of the classic Where’s Waldo books. 

What Lego knows we need, but won’t provide:

Lego knows very well that stepping on Legos is the literal worst. So, this April Fool’s day they announced their new product: a vacuum that will scoop up your Legos and sort them by color. Why did they have to play with us like that?

Netflix owns Seth Rogan’s soul:

Admittedly, this was one giant ad for Seth Rogan’s upcoming comedy special, but nevertheless it was entertaining. They released a video of Seth Rogan reading his contract with Netflix, relinquishing any and all personal freedoms he has to the mega company, and ended it with him stating that he really should have read the contract before signing it. 

Russian bots have upgraded to Snapchat:

Snapchat released a filter on Apr. 1 that made your photo look like Russian bots had taken over your Facebook. It seems that Snapchat got the last laugh over Facebook.

A lot of people can have a sour mood around April Fool’s day and that’s fine. Most jokes are lame and there’s always a few people who act horrible enough to ruin the day for a lot of people. Jokes like the ones above can sometimes make the holiday worth keeping. Get ready for next year, though, because technically, due to the conflict with Easter, April Fool’s day didn’t even officially happen this year since it was cancelled by the Pope. Next year, we’ll have TWO April Fool’s days. (If you think I’m joking, I’m not.)

Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University