The Next Week in Weird Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

We’re all familiar with Valentine’s day, Independence Day – all the popular holidays that serve to sell cards and celebrate commonly important sentiments like love or freedom. But did you know that most days of the year are assigned at least one random holiday? Read on to learn what you should be celebrating this week.

February 28: Public Sleeping Day  

Listen, you have midterms coming up, you can’t wait until Spring Break, maybe you’ve had a crazy weekend… you probably need a nap. Normally, you’d think twice about drifting off in the library, but today you are encouraged to. When your homework officially becomes too much to deal with, embrace Public Sleeping Day and take a nap in the KJ Atrium, the COOP, or maybe even outside somewhere – it is supposed be warm.  

February 29: Leap Day

Did you remember 2016 was a leap year? Make good use of your extra day by leaping everywhere instead of walking. You’ll get a good workout and you’ll get to class faster.

March 1: Peanut Butter Lovers’ Day

Fun fact: Peanut butter is the most important food group (fine, this might not be totally accurate, but you know I’m right anyway). Celebrate the first day of the month by eating lots of the delicious condiment. Check out these tasty uses for peanut butter. 

March 2: Old Stuff Day

Get started with Spring cleaning by going through any old stuff you might have lying around your dorm room. Old papers from last semester that in no way relate to this semester’s studies? Recycle them. Textbooks in the same category? Sell them. Clothes you won’t wear again this year? Send them home. If you have anything you don’t need but don’t want to get rid of, check out some upcycling ideas like these ones.

March 3: I Want You to Be Happy Day

Take some time out of your busy schedule to reach out to the people you care about. Call a family member back home, let a stressed-out friend you know you’re thinking of them, and compliment strangers (and people you know and love). It’s cheesy, but you just might make someone’s day.

You should know that it is also If Pets Had Thumbs Day.

March 4: Employee Appreciation Day

This is generally a day for bosses to show appreciation for their employees, but I’m guessing most of you are not employers. Instead, do something to show your gratitude for employees around campus, like maintenance and dining hall staff.

Some other dates in March you might want to know about:

March 8: Be Nasty Day Please don’t.

March 9: Panic Day I wish you the best on this day.

March 15: Everything You Think is Wrong Day Luckily, this is during Spring Break.

March 16: Everything You Do is Right Day Twenty-four hours of infallibility.

March 18: Supreme Sacrifice Day Ummm…

March 28: Something on a Stick Day Think of the possibilities.

March 30: I Am in Control Day At least one day a year, anyway.

Allison Donlan

Hamilton '18

.