Matthew Dickstein, Founder of SPAC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

Matthew Dickstein

Name: Matthew Dickstein

Class Year: 2017

Major: Economics, Minor in Philosophy, Pre-Med

Residence Hall: Milbank

Favorite song right now: Weathered by Jack Garratt

Extra curricular activities: Patient Advocate at St. Elizabeth Hospital, Economics Tutor at the QSR Center, Founder of Student Performing Arts Club (SPAC), Adirondack Adventures Orientation Trip Leader, The Hamiltones, Jazz Combo

What’s your favorite extra curricular and why?

Patient Advocate, for sure.  I’ve always been interested in medicine, but wasn’t 100% sure before I started this position.  Now, I look forward to volunteering every week and that excitement really makes me feel like I’m on the right path.  

So what inspired you to start SPAC?

As soon as I became involved in the music scene at Hamilton, I realized that there were so many talented students with so few opportunities to showcase that talent.  I created SPAC to try to fill that gap.

(Check out the SPAC YouTube page for some incredible performances! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCXE6-rIVb72EaRbHUtwsyg )

What has been the biggest challenge with running SPAC, primarily by yourself?

My biggest challenge has been delegating responsibility.  Running SPAC by myself is time consuming, but it’s been a lot tougher for me to give up control. It was in a formative stage for a while, but now that it’s been around for almost 2 years I’m ready to add more leadership.

What’s something you’d want the Hamilton community to know about you, that they might not already?

I was an extra on Friday Night Lights!

Pancakes or waffles?

Banana chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream.  No syrup.

Carolyn is a junior at Hamilton College. She is a Women's Studies major and Government minor. Carolyn loves to play acoustic guitar, sing a cappella music, travel and draw!