How To Make The Most of A One-Night Stand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

A key element of the Hamilton social scene is the hook-up culture. More specifically, lots of Hamilton students participate in the One-Night Stand. While typically both partners are more likely than not intoxicated during the One-Night Stand, as the effects of the alcohol starts to fade away, many women have come to the same conclusion: Wow, this sex is not pleasurable. The sex is probably not good for a few reasons: first, you do not know each other very well and therefore do not feel comfortable enough to express how you feel about the sex; second, you are both probably drunk and therefore lack the coordination necessary; and finally, you may feel nervous, which can physically prevent you from enjoying the sex as much. One option is to avoid the casual sex scene; however, if you want to continue to have casual sex, here are some tips to ensure the sex is better for you!

1.     Drink responsibly. If you are going out and drinking, be careful how much you drink to ensure you are coherent enough to consent to the sexual situation and to physically coordinate with your partner.

2.     Express yourself. While it may be nerve-racking to tell your partner your favorite position, it seems logical to simply tell your partner what you prefer since you may not have sex with him or her again. You’ve got nothing to lose! Plus, your partner will want you to enjoy the sex. Let’s put a stop to these fake orgasms!

3.     Comfort control. Because one-night stands can be pretty awkward, change certain parts of the environment to make yourself feel more comfortable. Whether you turn the lights off, put on some music, or something else, changing the atmosphere can make you feel more comfortable and help you enjoy the sex.

4.     Take it slow. In order to make the sex better, you will probably want the sex to last a decent amount of time. If you use slower motions and change positions a few times, you will enjoy the sex more!

5.     Protect yourself. Before you and your partner begin, make sure you use protection. When looking back on a one-night stand, it may not be as funny of a story or as fun of an experience if a week later you find out you contracted an STD. Safe sex is fun sex! 

Soozy Adelman is a junior at Hamilton College. She is a Sociology Major, and Government Minor.
-