The FoolProof Caramel Recipe for every Collegiette™

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

Caramel! Doesn’t the fall make you crave caramel apples, kettle corn or anything sweet? Well, it does for me, and even more it makes me feel the need to bake, but then again I always feel compelled to bake. Nevertheless, I believe that no one could say no to caramel, especially at this time of year.  Recently, while looking through baking blogs, I came across a recipe for caramel, which reminded me how simple it is to make caramel.

In its simplest form, you can submerge a can of sweetened condensed milk in water and boil it, but that takes around two hours and you have to be careful because if too much water evaporates, then the can will explode. Ideally, that’s probably not the best way to make caramel, but by just adding a few ingredients, you can make an even tastier and faster caramel. Recipes for caramel can be found all over the Internet – I found a great one on Love in the Oven blog but making caramel is really simple. 

Here’s what you’ll need:

1 cup of butter

1 cup of brown sugar

1 can of sweetened condensed milk

1) Fill a skillet pan with the cup of butter and brown sugar.

2) Heat a can of sweetened condensed milk and pour it into the pan.

3) Then boil and stir for 2 to 3 minutes until the mixture becomes golden in color and thick in consistency. This should get you nice soft caramel.  

Now comes the fun part! Basically, you will have a caramel fondue once its done. You can either eat it by the spoonful or you can dip anything you want in it – popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, and apples.

Apples? Yes of course, caramel apples.  The simplest way to make caramel apples is to cut apples into slices because it’s much easier to eat. Feel free to add chocolate chips or sprinkles for both taste and decoration. Have fun! 

Laura is a sophomore at Hamilton College in the class of '17. She is Comparative Literature Major, who will be going abroad to Paris for her junior year. She is an avid baker and jewelry maker.
-