David Morgan ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

This campus celeb truly does it all, inside and outside of the classroom. If you want to meet him you would probably be better off searching a random trail in the Adirondacks than his room at G-Road, but sometimes he can be spotted in the Science Center. We’re glad he took some time out of his busy life to answer these questions! 

Name:  David Morgan

Hometown:  Darien, CT

Year: 2015ish

Major: Geology (Yay Rocks!) Minors in Math & Education

What activities do you do around campus and in Clinton?

Huh thats a doozy. Well to start I play Ultimate Frisbee on Hamilton’s team, I race Nordic (cross country skiing) in the winter, and I am captain of Hamilton’s Marathon Canoe Racing Team (ITS AWESOME COME CHECK US OUT!). I work as a student ambassador at the Days-Massolo center on-campus, as a lab assistant in Eugene Domack’s Antarctic Geology lab, and as a Communications & Development writer for the news feed. Down the hill I work as an EMT at Central Oneida County Volunteer Ambulance Corps (you know, the ambulance you see every weekend outside Dunham). Just recently I was hired as a HOC (Hamilton Outing Club) officer and an AA leader for this fall. Basically, I like to keep busy.

How did you first get involved in outdoorsy pursuits?

I think most of it comes from my father. Right after I started walking (or maybe it was before, I’m not sure since there are conflicting reports) he threw me on skis in the backyard and dragged me up mountains. Once I was old enough to decide for myself what I liked and what I didn’t, I already felt at home in the wilderness and my passion only grew. Now it seems like I do almost everything outdoors related and am proud to say I spent over 35 nights sleeping outside last year. This year’s goal is 60.

What’s the best part about being an EMT?

Most people come to emergency services looking for the action, the excitement, the adrenaline. But after a little while the shine of all that wears off and the thrill seekers disappear. I’ve learned that I absolutely love the people. From my partners in the Ambulance to my patients on the cot I get to meet so many fascinating and wonderful people. I’ve heard stories from WWII veterans about meeting their wives in Times Square after the war ended, I’ve seen mothers proudly showing off their newborn children, and once I was even offered a job.

Do you have any advice for people looking to get involved in HOC at Hamilton?

Come to open hours in the Glen House! Every Monday and Thursday from 7-9 myself and 8 other awesome officers plan trips, outfit students, throw oranges, eat oranges, paint pictures, play silly games, and just have a great time. You can come and hear about the trips and classes we have coming up, listen to our crazy stories from trips past or just chill in the bean bags as Indie the dog ignores you. Its a blast and I promise we don’t bite!

If you could only live in one place for the rest of your life, where would you live?   

Does the back of my car count? I can’t really imagine staying in only one place for the rest of my life. As much as I love the White Mountains of New Hampshire or desire to explore the mountains of Patagonian Chile, life is all about variety. I truly love exploring our world and meeting the unique people that inhabit it. 

What is your wilderness spirit animal and why?

As an outdoorsy guy I get asked this one a lot and the embarrassing thing is I have no answer. As hard as I’ve tried I just can’t seem to find the animal the resonates most with me. I’ve spent far too much time trying to figure it out but it just hasn’t worked. I’ve been told by others that once I find it I will know its right, but until then I guess I’m just boring and animal-less.

Courtney is a sophomore at Hamilton College who is majoring Psychology and minoring in Sociology and Spanish. She enjoys tour guiding, writing, and living on the dark side.